      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: lyndafjellman@...
      Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 13:50:26 -0800
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Harvesting your own wood

      My goodness!!
      How do you create a tree.  From little acorns mighty oaks grow.
      I go around collecting in the fall in hopes that I can get that coppice I am starting stocked with NW natives.  Yes, I know that these aren't "period" for Europe, but hey, they "are" ashe, oak, maples, hazel and alder.  Not that you have to try to make alder grow around here.  If you don't watch out your land will be covered with alder saplings in a couple years.
      Of course if you don't want to wait that long you can go to any local nursery and they will be happy to help you find a nice tree.

      Good to hear Don.

      I work with live wood daily.   Over the last 20 years Ive seen such heavy urban and suburban deforestation (and appalling ignorance about tree/forest care) that Im in the planning stages of launching a volunetter org to freely plant trees in local neighborhoods.

      I knew I had to do something when a couple whose storm felled tree I was removing said to me... " how on earth do you create a tree?....sounds neat but how do you do it "

      I LOVE the idea of knowing on my death bed that I have planted more than taken....for the next generation or two of folks like us..

           Custom Commissions Welcome....!

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: don.bowen@...
      Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 13:58:09 -0600

      On 2/27/2013 12:29 PM, D. Young wrote:
      > Makes sure to replant if you take down!

      I am clearing out the leaning or crooked trees to clear areas to allow
      other trees to grow better. The idea is to improve the forest while

      Don Bowen AD0BR
      "A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom."
      -Michel De Montaigne 1588

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic