15423RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Vice screws ?

  • Lindey, Edward F III LTC RET
    Nov 17, 2012

      The chart for your percentage is all about thread engagement amount, not a looser or tighter fit. The fit is based on the diameter you cut. That is why good die sets are adjustable, for example. You loosen or tighten the diameter of the die slightly, to compensate for the difference in what you need and what the die is currently cutting with the specific material you are using.

      Did you really mean you were cutting .0005 at a time on a lathe or did you mean .005? The basic idea is still the same for a custom fit. Get it close with your mics, check it with the nut, cut a few more thousands off, deburr, check again, etc.

      So much for metal screws and threads.

      On to wood threads.

      To answer the previous question about the screw box cutting threads too close in size to the tapped nut. Assuming you are making the Roy Underhill style of box, you need to add a jack screw to his design. Put it so it touches the back of the cutter and will push the cutter forward toward the tapped hole. You will use this adjustment to move the cutter in or out to cut a small amount more or less off the threads on the rod. This is how you get the threaded rod to properly fit your nut. Once again it is a, cut it, deburr, check the fit, cut again, etc.

      On the larger threads, you may be taking too big a “bite” using only one cutter, making it too hard to turn, breaking the dowel, etc. If so, you need to install a second cutter on the opposite side of the box. It should be as close to exactly the same as the first one as possible. You also will have to adjust the depth of the slot it rests in as the thread on the opposite side will be deeper.

      Good luck

      Edward of Freeholt

      Vert, a double-bitted axe and on a chief embattled Or an arrow sable