15397Re: Portable Workbench

  • themaccolin
    Nov 7, 2012
      I have used a folding bench, based on one of Roy Underhill's, that appears in his first or second book, for fifteen years or better. It is mostly of Douglas fir. Its size was based on the formal convention that it fit in the back of a Datsun stationwagon along with my tool box which was built to sit between the wheel wells. Its materials; especially the top, was defined by the Eisenhower era 4x12 garage door header off cut that I found in the garage of where I was living at the time. It has a crochit hook and a series of dog holes, with a wooden retractible bench stop. The bench is short and lower than most would like on the necessity of the aforementioned space available. The length of the bench defines the height, since the legs must fold flush beneath it. Since I'm only 5' 6" and I used it often to demonstrate with children this was not a terrible hardship. While the station wagon is, I'm sure, long since been reduced to scrap and returned to the land of its birth, both the bench and the tool chest continue to serve. They and I are, however much the worse for wear and are in sore need of replacement. If I was to build this bench again and I may, I would build it with the legs a bit heavier and the top a bit longer. I think that if you take a look at this bench of Roy's, you can modify it to your needs and to your desired period appearance.

      Yrs aye, Stiofan.

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I've been kicking around the idea of making a woodworking bench that is collapsible or disassembles to bring to demos and faires. I'd like it to resemble something period but be as functional as a folding Workmate. It will mainly be used as a clamping table for sawing, chiseling, and planing. I have some ideas but thought I would throw it out to the group to see if anyone has any ideas or experiences. Material wise; it would have to be stable and sturdy but hopefully not weigh a hundred pounds (for example Oak). Any thoughts?
      >
      > Lagerstein

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic