14521Re: Named medieval furniture

  • tessa_rat
    Jun 6, 2011
      According to Victor Chinnery there are a number of references, in inventories and such, to folding or traveling beds. Unfortunately, due to hard use and relatively light construction, none appear to have survived. What we are left with is household beds and viking burials.

      One could interpret a traveling bed as simply a more lightly built version of a household bed (I've done several of these, or, and I personally think this is quite likely, a scissor folding "army" cot with a mechanism similar to a "Savanarola" or "Glastonbury" chair.

      It's an area that I think deserves a bit of exploration and experimentation... Right... off to the shop with me. :~)

      Fritz Wilhelm
      welldressedtent.com

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Sean Powell <powell.sean@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I'm doing research into a new camp bed and a thought has struck me.
      > <<<snip>>>
      > When I look for
      > beds I'm limited to "Oseberg", "Gokstad" and the generic terms of "Rope"
      > or "Slat". Are there any other named beds, preferably from the 14th or
      > 15th cent that I am unaware of? Are they so abundant that we don't need
      > names that are more detailed or are they simply so uninteresting that no
      > one has named any since 900ad?
      > Thanks,
      > Sean

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic