      From: Broom <IAmBroom@...>
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Named medieval furniture
      Cc: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, 6 June, 2011, 15:39

      Dunstan M'Lolane wrote:
      > I imagine many mattresses in poorer homes never made it off of the ground at all.

      Rising damp would quickly mildew these mattresses, which were probably
      straw ticks (or the equivalent using other plant fibers), usually
      contained in cloth bags, so I suspect even the poorest tried to raise
      their mattresses off the ground.

      ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
      ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
      ' | 9370 Shadduck Rd, McKean, PA 16426
      '\|/ "Discere et docere", which means:
      '/|\ "The world is like a mirror, you see? Smile, and your friends
      //|\\ smile back." - Japanese Zen saying

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic