14038Re: [MedievalSawdust] Wood to use to be period???... What do you think

  • Michael Houghton
    Feb 3, 2011
      Howdy!

      On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM, <conradh@...> wrote:
      > On Thu, February 3, 2011 8:23 am, Bobby Bourgoin (Robert du Bourg) wrote:
      >> Thanks for the info on Maple.  I didn’t know it grew in Europe…
      >>

      >> On a different note, were Maple products (maple syrup, sugar, etc..)
      >> available?  Or is that a New World thing?
      >

      > AFAIK, the discovery that you could boil down maple sap was a discovery of
      > the NE North American Indians.
      >
      > I have been assured, however, that all maples can be tapped and yield
      > sugar; apparently everybody else just missed it.  Even in North America
      > this blind spot exists; maple sugaring "just wasn't done" in the South or
      > even here in the Pacific Northwest where I live, even though the local
      > species' sap is usable.
      >
      > It's given New England and eastern Canada a useful monopoly and something
      > for rural folks to harvest in the middle of a long winter, though!

      It's not enough to just tap the trees and boil the sap. You need nights below
      freezing and days above freezing to encourage the tree to send the sugar up
      the tree. When it stops getting cold, the sap is no longer worth boiling down.
      You don't tap in the middle of winter; it's more of a late winter/early spring
      activity.

      yours,
      Herveus

      --