12428Forges on the cheap

  • Laura Iseman
    Apr 30, 2010
      Hi all, several posts here have said something like "I use X for my metal work since I don't have access to a forge" While any source of heat will work, and why not use an oxy torch if you have one, I thought I would share my forge technology for those who would like to have a go but think it is hard/expensive. My forge is 6 house bricks laid out in a rectangle on the concrete out the back and an old vacuum cleaner that does "blow" as well as suck. My anvil is a piece of railway iron with a point cut into the end, nailed to a stump. Because I know some great scroungers, this set-up cost me nothing but I suspect anyone could manage something similar. All I need to buy is the charcoal and I find that places that supply spit roasting caterers are a good place to get this.

      Using this setup I have made decorative flur de lis ends for my chest strapping ends for my box (pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/36906401@N00/sets/72157618165002297/ ) the actual hinge bit is worked cold (requires a hack-saw, and a hammer shaped like a bill, I used nails for the hinge pins). While I admit my forge work is not professional quality, I love that fact that my box is all my own work.

      Miriam

      --
      Agite primo recte! Nihil igitur durat tamquam enodatia brevis at satis.
      (Do it right the first time, because nothing is so permanent as a temporary solution that works)

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic