12287Medieval Side Drums

  • james
    Apr 8, 2010
      One of our local musicians just built a side drum or long drum from a kit which got me wondering about how the body of the drum would have been built in period.

      Anyone seen anything on this? Modern - I'd expect a laminate but did they have such things in the Renaissance and Medieval period. Especially the size it'd take to make a drum amost 2 feet deep and 15" across. I've considered stave construction and the hollowed log idea. Not like they show you the edge of the drum without the head on it to tell.

      Any pointers are welcome.

      Cedric
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic