12226Re: [MedievalSawdust] New Tape measure from Lee Valley!

  • AlbionWood
    Apr 1, 2010
      I was all set to order one - this year, you really can! - until I saw it won't handle relativistic measurements like Planck lengths.  Limitations like that stifle my creativity.

      Cheers,
      Tim

      Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
      A tape measure that would let you work more like the medieval craftmen
      did!

      “Historically, fine cabinet work (and even architecture) has always been done using referential measurement; craftsmen used ratios, relationships, and the tools/material at hand — and did not rely on graduated rules, or “even” dimensions. Mortises were based on material sizes (or chisel widths, irrespective of actual dimension), story sticks recorded dimensions to eliminate measurement error, and material thicknesses were determined by the supply at hand. Today, we tend to rely on measurement instead of experience and technique to ensure that assemblies fit together, and that components have consistent sizes.”