12182Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: New.. Intro~ Hi..Want to Make A 2-Wheel Cart For a Portable Oven

  • Bruce S. R. Lee
    Mar 2, 2010
      As reconstructed, the Oseberg cart does NOT steer, there are a number
      of pegs that stop any articulation of the front axle or framework.

      That said, it certainly looks like there was a steerable 4 wheeled
      cart somewhere in its ancestry, just like a 'Glastonbury' chair looks
      like there was some sort of folding chair or stool somewhere back in
      its ancestry, despite which all the existant examples of any
      antiquity do NOT fold.

      The interesting part is WHY the Oseberg cart does not have a
      steerable front axle. Was it because the cart was 'made over' from an
      old or favorite cart and just pegged to keep it together to go into
      the grave, or was there some symbolic/religious reason? You also have
      to consider that just about everything in the grave was crushed flat
      & broken into pieces by the overburden (dirt) and had to be conserved
      with limited technology (no freeze drying or P.E.G.) then put
      together like a giant jigsaw puzzle

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney

      At 09:20 AM 2/03/2010, you wrote:
      >On Mon, March 1, 2010 3:32 am, Sean Powell wrote:
      > > My first instinct is the Oseberg Cart but that's a 4-wheel job.
      > > http://abe.midco.net/vikingskald/Oseberg_cart/fullcart_files/cart_files/ca
      > > rt.jpg ... but you will notice how wide the hubs are for wheel stability.
      > >

      >The carving might be a little intimidating for her :-)
      >
      >Also, IIRC the Oseberg wagon has a pivoting front axle rig with a king
      >bolt, doesn't it? The way the tugs run down to the ends of the front axle
      >certainly suggest that. (Russian rural wagons still use this harness lead
      >today--I wonder who came up with it first?)
      >
      >As we've both mentioned, a wagon without steerable front wheels might as
      >well be on rails for all the turning it can do. A two-wheel cart can be
      >turned in its own length, and bring the load right to the spot you want
      >it.
      >
      >Ulfhedinn
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic