12181Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: New.. Intro~ Hi..Want to Make A 2-Wheel Cart For a Portable Oven

  • conradh@efn.org
    Mar 1, 2010
      On Mon, March 1, 2010 3:32 am, Sean Powell wrote:
      > My first instinct is the Oseberg Cart but that's a 4-wheel job.
      > http://abe.midco.net/vikingskald/Oseberg_cart/fullcart_files/cart_files/ca
      > rt.jpg ... but you will notice how wide the hubs are for wheel stability.

      The carving might be a little intimidating for her :-)

      Also, IIRC the Oseberg wagon has a pivoting front axle rig with a king
      bolt, doesn't it? The way the tugs run down to the ends of the front axle
      certainly suggest that. (Russian rural wagons still use this harness lead
      today--I wonder who came up with it first?)

      As we've both mentioned, a wagon without steerable front wheels might as
      well be on rails for all the turning it can do. A two-wheel cart can be
      turned in its own length, and bring the load right to the spot you want
      it.

      Ulfhedinn
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic