12056Re: Reaction wood? (was: early period turned cup)

  • n7bsn
    Dec 20, 2009
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

      > There is a great deal of information and analysis of extant artifacts relating to bowl/cup turning in "The Archaeology of York: Small Finds" book.
      >

      > Morris, Carole A
      > The Archaeology of York
      > Vol. 17 The Small Finds
      > Fasc. 13 Craft, Industry and Everyday Life: Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York
      > York: Council for British Archaeology, 2000
      > xiii, 379 p., ill., bib., ISBN: 1902771109
      >

      > Excellent source that might answer a lot of your questions. (Lot of good information on other Anglo/Scandinavian wood working as well plus a great discussion on lathes...)

      and worth the investment, great work. But I'm not recalling any reference to the grain orientation in the cores.

      BTW, visiting the dig is a little like visiting Disney does Jorvik. Although the live demo's after the "action ride" were better.

      If you are interested in pottery, they have a great book on that too (gave one to our local pottery laurel and I thought she would die of happy)

      Ralg
      AnTir
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic