12021Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Latest project - early period turned cup

  • Wm G
    Dec 1, 2009
      Point. I have looked at turned cups in the museum in London and saw a
      metal insert (think copper freeze plug) in the center of the bottom of
      the cup - My theory is it was to protect from the massive soak-in of
      liquids in the core wood (the cups were turned from limbs centered at
      the core). There was some sort of mark stamped in the copper coin as
      well, so it may have served as a makers mark.
      Riley G.
      On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 17:45 -0800, Alex Haugland wrote:

      > I suspect that the secret is to minimize contact with end grain...
      > Most moisture transfer happens through the end grain of the wood, so
      > barrels are built such that there is a minimum of end grain exposed
      > inside the barrel. Unfortunately, this is something you can't really
      > prevent in wood turning without laminating a segmented block to turn;
      > a practice that I'm pretty sure isn't period, but I could be wrong.
      >
      > --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
      > Barony of Adiantum, An Tir
      >
      > james wrote:
      > >
      > > I wonder how they kept in from seeping through the storage barrels
      > > back in the day.
      > >
      > > Cedric
      > >
      > > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I got hold of some Pusser's Naval Rum in a wooden flask one time
      > > that
      > > > managed to seep all the way through in less than three minutes.
      > > >

      > > > Will

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic