12019Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Latest project - early period turned cup

  • leaking pen
    Dec 1, 2009
      Natural polymerized?  So, old fashioned boiled, yes?  as opposed to metal salt dryers added.

      and, if the blend is liquid at room temp, its not going to do the best job sealing the grain (that is, the beeswax isnt).

      On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Eric <ewdysar@...> wrote:

      The cup has already been sealed with multiple rubbed coats of a natural polymerized linseed oil and beeswax blend. I'll warn the cup's recipient about the dangers of strong spirits, but as a prototype, I'm kind of interested how the cup will stand up to regular life.

      Thank you to everyone for the encouragement.

      Eirikr

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, leaking pen <itsatrap@...> wrote:

      > beeswax sealing will do the trick, run the cup on the lathe at high speed,
      > and rub a piece of beeswax on the inside. the friction should melt it
      > enough to penetrate in, and will give a good seal.

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic