12018Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Latest project - early period turned cup

  • leaking pen
    Dec 1, 2009
      They used oak.  oak will swell up, put its own pressure on itself, and then not really leak through.  you get a bit of drying from the surface of the barrell (angel's share, it was known as) , but no leaking.

      On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM, james <jeason@...> wrote:

      I wonder how they kept in from seeping through the storage barrels back in the day.

      Cedric

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...> wrote:

      > I got hold of some Pusser's Naval Rum in a wooden flask one time that
      > managed to seep all the way through in less than three minutes.
      >

      > Will

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic