11921Re: Mastermyr chest

  • Eric
    Oct 19, 2009
      Hrothgar,

      I have also made about a dozen of Viking 6 board chests, mostly starting with 1x12 pine. Like you I keep the fronts and backs vertical for simplicity and to keep the interior volume as large as possible. I use a plain 1x12 for the lid too. If I'm in a hurry I just do a full lap joint to simplify the joinery.

      My latest kick has been to plane the fronts and backs down to 3/8" and the bottom to 1/2". The empty chest is lighter and these simple changes actually increase the interior volume of a 24" long chest more than 10% with no changes to the outside dimension.

      Eirikr
      Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wagner <hrothgar950@...> wrote:

      > My camp chests are all Mastermyr inspired to a degree. I too like the
      > half-lap corner joint. I also like the out-sloping chest ends. I kept the
      > from & back vertical, which avoids the compound angles, and just used a flat
      > 3/4" plan lid rather than a thicker lid with hollowed interior. I have
      > about 7 in various lengths that I use regularly - I made them all the same
      > height so that they make a nice packing platform in the bottom of my
      > trailer. I had to break down and add rope handles to the one for my tools,
      > as it was a bit heavy to lift without. Reminds me, I need to make another
      > for the lathe stuff...
      > Hrothgar Fiscabana
      > Kingdom of Gleann Abhann

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic