11917Re: Mastermyr chest

  • Eric
    Oct 19, 2009
      I posted pictures of my Mastermyr replica in the "Eirikr's Camp" folder in this Yahoo group quite a while back. For the woodwork, I used a couple of the available articles from the web and kind of synthesized my own version. One point that many people skip from the original is that each type of piece (end, bottom, top and sides) are different thicknesses. My box is primarily red oak (before I knew better) but the top is white oak.

      I made the iron work, including the lock mechanism. All of my information about the lock came from "The Mastermry Find" by Arwidsson and Berg. I will try to take some detail pictures of the workings of the lock and post them here, but that means emptying all of my event tools out first. Now that I mention it, that may not be a bad idea, just to find out what has migrated to the bottom... :)

      If you've got any specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

      In Service to the Dream,
      Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
      Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

      > Anyone here done a mastermry reproduction/inspired chest?
      >
      > What did you learn in the process?
      > What advice would you offer before I start?
      > Anything surprise you?
      > Anything not work like you thought it would?
      >
      > Thanks in advance!
      >
      > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      >
      > Aude Aliquid Dignum
      > ' Dare Something Worthy '