11654Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Are Holdfasts period? (i.e. pre-17th century?)

  • Brian Wagner
    Jun 8, 2009
      I followed up on this, and found I remembered incorrectly.  What was found was a staple-shaped iron dog, not a holdfast.  Sorry about the mistake.

      Hrothgar

      On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Brian Wagner <hrothgar950@...> wrote:
      Great discussion!

      I don't have the book at hand right now, as I am at work, but Ulrich's 2007 book "Roman Woodworking" cites a holdfast from Chichester reported in Cunliffe and Rudkin 1996 "Chichester Excavations IX: Excavations at Fishbourne 1969 - 88."  I'll have to look back at Ulrich tonight - I don't have a copy of Cunliffe and Rudkin.

      Hrothgar
      Barony of Small Gray Bear, Gleann Abhann

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic