11639Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Are Holdfasts period? (i.e. pre-17th century?)

  • paul
    Jun 7, 2009
      I just posted a picture to the file section taken from the book Hommes
      et Metires dans L'art: Du XII au XVII siecle en Europe centrale by
      Vaclav Husa published in 1967 by GRUND. showing two carpenters working
      on a board being led with holdfasts. The book identifies the image as
      "Charpentiers sur un chantier. Biblia Wenceslai Regis. 1389-1400.
      Bibliotheque national, Vienne (350x236mm). Bibl. 1, No 83; 21; 58, pp
      78-80; 109; 124; 137. Photo M. Veverka."

      I found the book a couple of years ago in Montreal, it is in French and
      I don't speak or read French but I had to get the book as it is all
      about images of working people in all kinds of tasks. with large
      sections devoted to agriculture and animal husbandry, weaving, metal
      work, woodworking , the building trades, book production, mining and
      coin making.

      Iain Qwhewyl
      Castlemere, Trimaris
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic