11358Re: [MedievalSawdust] info on a picture

  • Dan Baker
    Apr 25, 2009
      Hey Conal this is what I have on that bench you were asking about.  It is listed in "The History of Medieval Furniture" by John Morley page 48.  A nice picture of the back and this is the text.

      72. A viking bench from Kungsara church in Vastmanland, Scandinavia. c 1100

      Also this paragraph...

      The character of viking furniture is shown by a Scandinavian bench of about 1100; it has a pair of superbly winged and knotted monsters, of which the wings show the strong tendency to abstraction that is characteristic of the barbarian art.  Monsters heads decorate the back, the sweeping curve of which recalls viking ships.  The bench is held together with mortise and tenon joints and exhibits the same degree of sophistication as contemporary illuminated manuscripts.

      If you need the picture of the back I can scan it and email it to you.  There is also a chair of the same era shown.

      -Rhys

      On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Dan Baker <lordrhys@...> wrote:
      well, in two weeks I will be home and can give you details, I even know what book to look in.  I just can't tell ya the name off the top of my head.  But there is 2 views of that bench.  I will send it in a couple weeks

      -Rhys

      On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:

      Does anyone have any info on this?

      Possible 'Viking" bench

      I've had the photo saved, but I saved it long ago before
      I got in habit of taking better notes.

      When, where, where it is now..... that kinda stuff.

      --
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic