      From: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com [mailto: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of James Winkler
      Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 1:38 PM
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] Wood load strength

      There are probably sources for generic information. .. but too much is involved in calculating the angle of load to the grain, the quality of the stick in general, the overall geometry and weight dispursion of the structure in general, etc., etc...  There's also the question of whether you're talking 'loading' or 'shear' strenght...

      Inherently, the weakest part of this design is the pivot point at which the legs cross.   the wood is thinest there and you have those pesky grain issues that come into play... not to mention the fact that that is the EXACT point at which all of those "pounds per square inch" are maximized into the the fewest possible square inches....

      So... what we're really talking here is the shear strenght of the wood along the grain at this point...  and I don't think your going to find that anywere... at least not specific to whatever stick your using.

      Chas.

      To: medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com
      From: talmoor@yahoo. com
      Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 17:54:06 +0000
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Wood load strength

      Does anyone have a good site or book for figuring the weight load a
      piece of wood can take? I am making a dantesca chair and wonder how
      much of a limit it can take and if there is any way to strengthen it.

      Alasdair

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic