11097Re: [MedievalSawdust] Guidance

  • AlbionWood
    Feb 21, 2009
      The tapestry is early-to mid-16th century North European (probably
      Netherlandish or French). So dovetails aren't out of the question for
      box-corner joinery, in fact they would be quite appropriate. I don't
      know of any surviving boxlooms, but have seen a fair number of small
      coffers and larger chests from this period in European museums. Many of
      them are dovetail-joined. Some are butted and nailed, or treenailed
      (wooden nails); I've never seen one that was just glued. Quite often,
      even with dovetail joinery, the corners are reinforced with metal
      brackets, nailed or riveted in place. I have a number of photos of
      these if you're interested; a few are in the folder "Dovetails" in the
      Photos section for this Group.

      Many types of wood were used for these coffers. Oak, beech, and walnut
      are common; linden was also used for carved coffers. I can get some
      documentary references later if you need them. You'll want quartersawn
      wood if you can get it, to reduce warping.

      A simple box with butted and treenailed joints is a pretty good project
      for a beginning woodworker. Adding the metal brackets will
      significantly increase durability, but also complexity; you'll want to
      fabricate your own brackets.

      Cheers,
      Tim

      > I have posted a picture of a tapestry in a album titled Cibella.
      > I am a weaver and would like to recreate the boxloom on the lap of the
      > woman in the left of the picture. My skills and knowledge in wood
      > working are very limited (read NONE).
      >
      > Could any of you provide me with the type of wood that would have been
      > used in period and a source for documentation?
      >
      > I am also unsure of the type of joins this type of item would have.
      > >From the little I have read it seems that nails, dovetails or simple
      > butted ends with glue were used during this time frame.
      >
      > I would like to enter this as an A&S entry so documentation is very
      > important. I also plan to use this loom to weave on so durability as
      > well as weight are something I need to consider.
      >
      > Thank you in advance for your help
      >
      > Cibella Monmouth
      > mka Barbara tenBroek

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic