10797Re: [MedievalSawdust] wood to use

  • AlbionWood
    Dec 1, 2008
      +1 to what John LaTorre said.

      You can get away with pine for a bed, but I would never recommend it for an X-frame chair.  (And frankly I wouldn't make a bed out of it either, because it will get dinged up too quickly.  But my time frame seems to be different from most folks'... I expect a piece of furniture to last a lifetime, at least.)  The joinery on an X-frame requires a lot of strength in the wood, more than pine can offer, IMO.

      Cheers,
      Tim

      Bobby Bourgoin (Robert du Bourg) wrote:

      I am thinking of a folding or break-down chair/thrown and a break-down bed.

      Chair: probably an X-chair with back attached using a sort of tusk tenon.

      Bed: Viking style using tusk tenon joints.

      _,_._,___
    • Show all 33 messages in this topic