10672Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: dovetailing - was The Real Deal, on sale soon!

  • AlbionWood
    Oct 18 9:36 AM
      I'm not very familiar with medieval furniture from south of the Alps.   I haven't found much evidence for box-corner dovetail chests in Northern Europe before the 1480s, in spite of those Flemish altarpieces.  I keep reading claims that Italians, or somebody along the Mediterranean, were making them earlier than that, but I have yet to see a photo or drawing of an example.  Anybody have one to share?

      Other kinds of dovetail joints were certainly in use earlier; for example, in timber-framing of buildings.  It's the specific box-corner joint (which is, I think, a completely different animal than a sliding or lap dovetail) that seems to have sprung up around 1480.

      julian wilson wrote:
      it appears in Medn' Basin furniture of a considerably earlier date than 1545
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic