      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] The Real Deal, on sale soon!

      Date: Saturday, 18 October, 2008, 12:56
      Did you see the dove-tail on #31?
      Lucien

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "AlbionWood" <albionwood@wildblue .net>
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] The Real Deal, on sale soon!
      http://browse. sothebys. com/?&cat= 1&event_id= 28722&g=1& i=1&sale_ id=L08312
      > My wife wants Lot 3, but I'd be happy owning Lot 5.

      COMMENT
      Hmm, dovetails.
      Does the List realise that the earliest, positively-dated, surviving English example of the use of dovetailing in a piece of furniture is the Barber Surgeon's Chest recovered from inside the wreck of the "Mary Rose"?
      According to the comment in Volume III of the Mary Rose Trust Archeological Reports "Before The Mast" - no earlier example with a certain English historic provenance is known.

      The Trust's Expert who authored that portion of the Text, concerning this chest, suggests that - as dovetailing is not known in surviving English woodwork [of the early Tudor period, or earlier] the Barber Surgeon's Chest may have been either pruchesed by him on the Continent, or imported "for sale"  into England from there, by a Merchant.

      As a professional woodworker, I find the note on this bit of Craft minutiæ very intersting. I'd always had the notion that the technique of dovetailing had a much older history in England.

      Julian Wilson
      [aka as Lord Matthew Baker in the SCA]

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic