Re: [MEDIEVAL AND RENAISSANCE MUSIC] gaida II

  • kilpatrickbill
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
      both my gaida reeds are set deep into the pipe(s) and so far - in terms of going flat or
      whatever - so good. i see the adjusting band around the drone reed but don't know what
      i'll do if the chanter reed starts to go wobbley. i have replacements from bulgariana and at
      the present price, it won't be too much of a sacrifice to order more.

      listen ... i've written to yahoo asking if they'll start-up a forum dedicated exclusively to
      the gaida. there are the usual ghb sites and bulgarian music related sites galore but
      nothing specifically devoted to the gaida or its use outside the bulgarian musical box, so
      to speak - as in making early (medieval) music.

      if i get the ok for this i'll let you know - care to be a co-list owner?

      you're right about the bamboo. it's a cane of some sort and locally, it grows all over the
      place. i forgot its name but ... if the gaida site gets going ... that'll be one of the first
      things mentioned.

      ciao from sunny (still warm) italy - bill

      --- In medievalandrenaissancemusic@yahoogroups.com, Owlborn@... wrote:

      > The problem with using a single-bladed reed for a chanter is tuning. As the reed breaks
      in, it will go out of pitch badly. With a drone reed you can correct for that by sliding the
      drone. The chanter is a different story. That's the advantage double-bladed reeds have, I
      think. They're much more stable.

      > The cane used for the chanter and drone reeds isn't bamboo (I thought the same thing)
      but a different type of cane native to the Mediterranean, which tends to grow around
      marshes. It has since been grown in California (which now supplies most of the world's
      cane for reeds). It's the same cane used for all reeded wind instruments, including modern
      oboes and clarinets.

      > It's also the same type of cane that the Turks and Arabs use to make their ney flutes :)
      Really useful stuff! I've got a few Arabic neys, and a few Turkish ones (including a Turkish
      ney made from PVC... ah, the stability of plastic!)

      > Anyhow, a Great Highland Bagpipe tenor drone reed should work fine in a gaida's
      drone, as long as you wrap enough chord around the base of the drone to get it to fit. GHB
      drone makers tend to use more slender reeds than gaida reed makers.

    • Owlborn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
        Maybe we'll find someone that has heard of synthetic reeds for a Gaida chanter, eh? Sure, I'm game for a new list. What do your chanter reeds look like? Mine is a black carved wood thingy, with a tongue of cane attached to it. Works quite well, actually.

        Ciao, from the slightly overcast but still warm Orange County.

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
          no word from yahoo yet about the gaida site ... hope they received the registration form i
          filled in.

          my chanter reed is made with a cane tongue attached to a round piece of plastic that
          opens at one end (in the shape of a staple), tapers down and is closed at the other end -
          sort of like half a miniature longboat carved from a plastic rod and joined with a tube.
          somewhere on the hotpipes site i saw a photo of a gaida with both chanter and drone reed
          looking pretty much the same - tiny shafts of arundo donax reed, split more than halfway
          down the middle.

          arundo donax reeds grow all over the place here. we're about 20 minutes from lago
          trasimeno where i've seen collected bundles of them at least 12" tall.

          waiting patiently for my replacement jura pipes in "g."

          ciao - bill

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
            That's kind of like my djura gaida's chanter reed, wish I had a similar reed for my drone. Makes it so much more stable when it's a strip of cane attached to a stable surface.

            As for the cane itself, it has been cultivated in California in mass quantities. I'm not sure of the figure, but I'm fairly sure most of the world's reed-making cane is now grown here. There was much debate as to whether the French-grown or the California-grown stuff was superior, with most musicians and reed makers turning their noses up at the California cane. In blind testing (this is second-hand knowledge, I'll have to take it up with my friend Greg if it's wrong) I believe that most reedmakers and musicians preferred the California-grown cane.

            It's the same species, but perhaps the conditions out here are better for the cane. There's also another type of cane, nearly identical, that's native to the marshy areas around Seattle.

            The difference is (again, second-hand knowledge, this time from a gaida player in Seattle) that arundo donax has silicates throughout it, making it more rigid, while the Seattle-native stuff only has silicates in the outer surfaces of the cane. I know, I'll bet you feel so much wiser for knowing that now. Anyway, I should drop him a line and see if he's had any luck working that type of cane.

            Ciao, from still-sunny-albeit-a-20%-chance-of-rain-tonight Southern California.

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 6, 2006
              that's very interesting about the cane. i can just imagine the reaction i'll get from one of
              the locals when i ask what the silicate content of their cane is.

              a very interesting site here:

              http://user.it.uu.se/~crwth/bagpipes/swedish/

              ... you might already be aware of it but the swedish chanter shown in the photos has a
              double hole at the top, not at the bottom like a baroque recorder. got me thinking that
              maybe if i place an "0" ring around the upper hole on my gaida, in the center, i might get
              another fraction of that note. results were so-so but i'll continue to experiment with
              smaller or larger (therefore thinner or thicker) "0" rings to see what develops.

              got any pearls of what'sit on developing a good practice regime for the gaida? every tune i
              learn - only a few so far - doesn't seem to make the next any easier. scales bore me to
              tears and don't really help me develop a knack for instinctively finding the right note -
              fingers are slow and sometimes just get stuck.

              warm today but winter is definately on the way.

              ciao - bill

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 6, 2006
                Actually, I've been tempted to do a double-hole on my hummies, on the lowest fingerhole. On a Sackpipa (Swedish pipes) I can see why they might do that... but on the Gaida? That's what the fleahole is for, unless I'm not understanding something.

                Anyways, try shaping some beeswax by filling the hole then boring it with some sort of pick to make a double-hole, if you're doing something I'm not quite fathoming :) What I was planning on doing with the hummies was partially filling in the bottom hole with wood putty, them boring another hole next to it... Well, like a baroque recorder, but only on the lowest note. For the next note, I can crossfinger to get the D sharp, unlike a soprano recorder.

                I'd talk to a pro gaida player before attempting something like that. I've heard of two modifications to gaidas, though I'm not sure how reliable the latter is. The first is the drilling of a second thumb hole between the first and second fingers of the lower playing hand. On a gaida with a low note of G, this would allow for a C-sharp.

                The other modification (which I'm NOT sure about) that I've heard of is the addition of a second fleahole, this one on the first fingerhole of the lower hand. If it actually works, it sounds like it'd give the player a full range of chromatics, not just chromatics on the upper notes. That makes sense though, as I've heard recordings of gaida playing that features a gaida in G playing with funny chromatics on the lower notes.

                Worth looking into, at least.

                Being this close to the coast, which I'm not used to, the seasons come on FAST. Chee-ow!

                -El Gaitero Vato

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 7, 2006
                  i found that by putting an "o" ring over the top hole - bisecting it - i got another tone,
                  different from what's produced with the flea-hole. don't know yet if it's of any use yet or if
                  it can be improved or not but there it is ... try it.

                  the second thumb hole and additional flea hole on the chanter sound very interesting. do
                  you have any idea of the diameter and exact placement for these - in relation to the holes
                  on the upper hand? the gaida finger chart i mentioned earlier suggests that "some"
                  chanters can produce tones which others can't - wonder why that is? definitely worth
                  looking into but any modification is purely speculative as i don't think there's anyone
                  around here interested in the gaida and certainly no one i'd let drill holes in MY! chanter.

                  west coast the wild coast is lonely.

                  ciao - bill

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 7, 2006
                    I'm far from the most knowledgeable person in regards to gaidas, I'm more of a western European pipes kinda guy. You could always contact the place you bought the pipes from, see if they'll ask the pipemaker in regards to it.

                    And remember, the information I had in regards to a second thumbhole and/or a second fleahole is purely secondhand. It'd be much better to go to the source. I'm assuming that any reputable gaida maker would know if this is done and how common it's done.

                    Shoot me a direct E-mail (Owlborn@...) and I'll send you an mp3 of a gaida being played with a scale rather unusual for a gaida. I'm thinking the odd scale is only possible due to a second thumbhole.

                    I'm glad I lit a fire under you, interest-wise, for gaidas! Is the tone you're getting with the o-ring a quartertone? Not particularly useful in western music, but I'll bet if you were able to work out how to get quartertones on several of the holes, you could play that thing in a true Bayati scale (as opposed to the Bayati scale my ensemble uses... Andalucian Bayati, with no quartertones). Bayati is used in lots of Greek, Turkish, Arabic, and Persian music.

                    Again, though, I'm not the best person to ask about those types of music either! My bandmates have a much stronger background in Near-East music, as they were originally part of an Arabic and Turkish folk music ensemble... and they formed a duo that performed music of medieval Spain. I came in and brought other (Western European) influences.

                    Ciao!

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 9, 2006
                      re: modifying an existing gaida chanter - have a look at the replies here (non ghb pipes
                      column):

                      http://www.bobdunsire.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001357

                      ... mentions a chanter maker in california.