radio gaita

  • kilpatrickbill
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
      here's another intereting on-line radio show featuring folk(ish) ...
      contemporary pipes from all over the place:

      http://www.rootsworld.com/bagpipes/

      just click on "radio gaita"

      - bill
    • Owlborn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
        I found that a few years back, they occasionally update it with new
        stuff. I particularly love the sackpipa tracks, as I've got a love for
        traditional Swedish music. Did you hear any of the Swedish tracks?
        There's a few there if I recall correctly. The Swedish pipes are
        particularly interesting because they remain in a relatively primitive
        state (with a single-bladed reed with the chanter). It's a broken
        tradition, I think, so modern recreations of the pipes were made from
        falling-apart instruments.

        In modern recreations (I'm not sure of how historically accurate they
        are) they typically come with two chanters, which are interchangeable
        depending on the tune. One plays in D-major, with a flat major seventh
        (like Scots pipes in D, though the fingering is way different) and the
        other chanter plays the same scale, except it also plays a Bb instead
        of a B natural like the previous chanter. The result is an oddly
        minor-sounding chanter.

        They share more in common with Balkan pipes than any western European
        pipes, which is what makes them the oddball pipes in Western Europe. I
        had the opportunity to play a set for a few minutes when I was up in
        Seattle last summer, and they are FUN! Like Balkan pipes, they've got a
        single-bladed reed for the chanter. Also, like the Kaba Gaida of the
        Rodope area of Bulgaria, the chanter has a reversed conical bore. The
        result is a deeper pitch with a shorter chanter length. Also (typical
        of a lot of single-bladed reed pipes, which you probably noticed if you
        heard any of the Swedish tracks) the lower notes are very
        underwhelming, while the higher notes are VERY powerful.

        Have you listened to any Bulgarian gaida music? It's really impressive.
        I think there's one track on Radio Gaita.

        Anyways, sorry I haven't replied, I've been rather busy as of late with
        the new place.
        -Geoffrey, El Gaitero Vato

        here's another intereting on-line radio show featuring folk(ish)
        contemporary pipes from all over the place:

        http://www.rootsworld.com/bagpipes/

        just click on "radio gaita"

        - bill

        and IM. All on demand. Always Free.