hummelchen update

  • kilpatrickbill
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 7, 2006
      my bag pipe arrived to day and i'm walking around with stars in my eyes ... or are
      they spots - i had no idea how much puff was needed to get a sound out of the thing.
      instructions in one language only (german) was a nice olde europe-e touch but i think
      i've got the hang of it. the bug hurdle is to keep it from squawking suddenly and
      veering off into a higher register.

      not recommended for those with high blood pressure.

      blowin'it - bill
    • Owlborn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 7, 2006
        Describe the reed he's got in the chanter (including the colours of everything), perhaps I can be of assistance. Worst comes to worst, you can mail the reed to me and I'll make the appropriate adjustments in my own chanter (which should be identical, or near enough). The hummelchen shouldn't take that much breath to play. In fact, when I'm playing, I essentially just breath normally, except I'm exhaling into the bag.

        Just remember not to bite down on the mouthpiece, use a lip seal only!

        I've got a bit of experience with making chanter reeds, and even more experience with modifying reeds to make them play a bit easier and play a bit louder. If the plastic wrapping is white with the blade almost clear, then it's probably a Gibson reed. I think he may have switched over to Gibsons after I told him about the glories of using those reeds, and sent him a few that I modified, about a year ago.

        It may just need a light sanding, or you may want to pull the wrapping down a bit, or put a bridle on it. It all depends on what the problem is.

        Most important, I think, is "is it playing in pitch?"

        With all fingerholes closed, it should be sounding a good solid "C".

        Get back to me on that, I'll help you out any way I can, as I encourage the playing of early bagpipes!
        -Geoffrey, El Gaitero Vato

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
          ciao -

          yes, it's made by gibson. someone is ending me a pdf with reed related instructions
          - i'll see how that goes before troubling you.

          it occurs to me, however, that if you have a paypal account and are willing to buy and
          modify a reed for me, i'll transfer what ever money you deem appropriate to your
          account (+ postage) if you'll send the reed to me. that way i can continue to work on
          having a stroke and discovering new colors for my face.

          as it is now, the reed is as you describe, set into the chanter as far as it will go.
          should i raise it up a bit? when you say "sanding" do you mean to make the edges
          finer (thinner) to increase vibration or shorter (more stubby?)

          i will prevail, begad!

          regards - bill

        • Owlborn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
            I thought I'd add a bit here on reed adjustments, in case you need to make any (and it sounds like you do):

            The fact that it's taking a LOT of air is likely one or both of these things - the reed is too hard, or the opening too wide. In the case of the latter, it will be sounding flat, and increasing the air pressure will raise the pitch significantly. I don't think it's the latter, though, as these reeds are fairly standardized. You may need to sand the edge end of the reed blades SLIGHTLY, to soften them up a bit.

            The fact that it's jumping up an octave... The solution for that is easy, cheap, and requires no precision: You may need a bridle. A bridle is the easiest adjustment you'll ever need to make to a reed, and I typically put one on EVERY reed I use. Most modern double-reed players use them in some degree, usually a twist of thick wire to keep the reed in a stable position. I prefer something more rudimentary: A small rubber ring. Those skinny rubber rings that you can find at any home improvement store (though you're in Italy, I don't know if you've got a "Magazzino di Casa" there) are ideal. Just slide one, from the metal end of the staple, up onto the blades. If it's squeezing them too hard, try a slightly larger size. You want it to be snug, but not strangling. I can't remember the ideal size off the top of my head for a Gibson reed. I usually just take the offending reed to Home Depot, and walk through the plumbing section until I find something that fits.

            Now, the most obvious problem (thus one I forget to mention) might be the fact that the bag isn't sealed completely. Take the chanter and drone out, find some way to cork those stocks, then fill the bag and rest your arm on it (just to be on the safe side, cover the end of the blowpipe with your finger, because backflow valves aren't perfect on bagpipes).

            You might want the reed to be a few mm up from as deep as it will go, otherwise your upper notes will probably be sharp in relation to your lower notes.

            I just got your other Email, reading it....

            I'm going to be exceptionally busy for the next few weeks, as I'm packing and moving, but I don't see why I can't modify a reed for you after that's all said and done. First, let me get some information from you, because how I modified my reed might be a bit different from how Wolfgang's gone and done it. Could you take a picture of the reed itself, sitting alone, and E-mail it? The closer and the more higher resolution, the better. You can send them directly to Owlborn@.... Also, send me the following measurements: How long is the reed in total, from the base of the staple to the end of the blades? How far up the blades does the plastic wrapping go, measured from the base of the staple?

            I'll compare that to mine, so maybe we can do this without a complicated transaction, and thus you'll be able to play a lot faster than having to wait for me to get around to modifying a reed for you. Oh, make sure you get closeup pictures (I hope you've got a digital camera) of the ends of the blades from the top, and from the front. Seeing them from the front is important, that way I can see if they need to be sanded a bit. Then there's the bridle, but one issue at a time.

            Oh, and believe me: Almost all bagpipes are this big of a pain in the ass at first, trust me. Once you've got them stable, however, nothing is sweeter. Cylindrical-bore pipes are a particular pain in the ass, but I haven't had to adjust mine in a year in any way.

            All else fails, we'll work out how I can modify a reed or two and send 'em to you.

            By the way (tangent), I've been looking for a good modern recording of traditional Zampogna and Piffero music. Most of the stuff I've found has lots of OLD recordings of poor quality. Any ideas?

            -El Gaitero Vato

          • kilpatrickbill
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
              took your advice on reed adjustment by sanding it to make it thinner - works much
              better now. still the occasional squawk - caused by lack of coordination between
              squeezing the bag with my elbow while i gasp for breath, more than anything else -
              but much improved all around. i used one of those pink, extra-large emmery-boards
              (for the nails - i think that's what they're called and how it's spelled) and it worked
              just fine.

              nice man named thomas wiedermeier here:

              http://www.paderpiper.de/

              ... directed me to more reed related information than i'll ever need, here:

              http://www.toneczar.com/

              i took your advice first, however as we both have the same synthetic reeds.

              utterly hypnotic stuff. can only play one song so far ("tempus est iocundum") but it's
              definitely getting mo' better each time i play it.

              thank you very, very much geoffrey - you've been a real help. i'll still have a zillion
              questions, no doubt, but your enthusiasm for this marvelous little instrument has
              been positively infectious ... i thank you again.

              sincerely - bill

            • Owlborn@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
                A bridle should do the trick for getting rid of the squawks you're hearing, it'll keep the reed nice and stable. Is it playing in modern pitch okay? What I used to do was tune my drone to D, by a tuner, and then adjust the chanter reed until it's in tune with the drone, because the drone is nice and stable. If you get a rubber bridle like I've got, you can make pitch adjustments with it as well. If it's too flat, slide the bridle toward the end of the staple. If it's too sharp in the higher note, you can slide the bridle toward the ends of the blades. It makes for very precise tuning adjustments.

                Also, should reeds ever tickle your fancy, making or adjusting them for fun, there's a great book out there called "Reed Design for Early Woodwinds" or something to that like. It's out of print, but you can always find used copies through Amazon.com. It only mentions bagpipes in passing, but the information on reeds that it has is ideal. It discusses good reeds that make spectacular substitutions (cornamuse/crumhorn reeds for many smallpipes, rauschpfief reeds for many conical-bore pipes).

                Tempus Est Iocundum is one of my favourite tunes, I love the recording by Ensemble Unicorn. Have you tried adjusting the drone to different tunings yet? You may have to adjust the bridle on the drone reed (it should have one on there) to get it to the right pitch to where you can get all the different drone tunings.

                Some other fun tunes you can try on the hummelchen:
                -Stella Splendens (Llibre Vermell de Montserrat)
                -Saltarello II and III
                -Ad Mortem Festinamus (Llibre Vermell de Montserrat, this one goes a bit beyond the range of almost any bagpipe, but I fudge the high part and it works)
                -Polorum Regina (another Llibre Vermell tune, usually I hear it played slow, but it's got a nice jig rhythm, so I play it more quickly. It is a dance, after all!)
                -Cantiga 167 (a favourite of mine, very lively)

                And remember, the spirit of a Troubadour is improvisation! I actually have a French troubadour costume being made for me right now, being made by a woman who primarily does Arabic and Turkish costumes.

                Now back to the pipes: If you're too flat, and nothing is changing that, you can clip the reed a bit. This is the LAST thing to do, because it's irreversible and can really ruin an otherwise good reed. Try everything else first! I'm happy you're enjoying your pipes. You'll soon know the joys of not having to tune anything but the drone before playing.

                -Geoffrey, El Gaitero Vato

> [...]

                get around to modifying a reed for you. Oh, make sure you get closeup pictures (I
                hope you've got a digital camera) of the ends of the blades from the top, and from
                the front. Seeing them from the front is important, that way I can see if they need to
                be sanded a bit. Then there's the bridle, but one issue at a time.

                > Oh, and believe me: Almost all bagpipes are this big of a pain in the ass at first,
                trust me. Once you've got them stable, however, nothing is sweeter. Cylindrical-bore
                pipes are a particular pain in the ass, but I haven't had to adjust mine in a year in any
                way.

                > All else fails, we'll work out how I can modify a reed or two and send 'em to you.
                >
                > By the way (tangent), I've been looking for a good modern recording of traditional
                Zampogna and Piffero music. Most of the stuff I've found has lots of OLD recordings

              • kilpatrickbill
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
                  i made the bridle you mention from something called an "o" ring - a tiny, black ring-
                  shaped washer made from nylon. not a lot of elasticity in it but enough, i presume,
                  to allow vibration.

                  tuning tips greatly appreciated.

                  we do all the tunes you mention. maybe you'awl should plan a mega-galatic,
                  european tour one year and we'll have a battle of the bands here in tuscany!

                  talk to you later. i don't envy you one little bit, moving on to a new house. our last
                  move was 4 years ago - "never again ...!"

                  ciao - bill

                • Owlborn@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
                    The o-rings I use are rubber, fits a bit more snugly to any part of the reed. I think you should be fine using nylon, though. Let me know what other difficulties that reed is causing you.

                    I don't suppose you've got a recording of you guys playing Ad Mortem Festinamus, do you? I can never hear enough different versions of the song. That was my one disappointment with Ensemble Unicorn's "The Black Madonna", they didn't record what is probably the greatest song from Llibre Vermell de Montserrat! I don't think you can get all of us in Europe at any time together, but I'm planning to go at least to Asturias and Ireland in the next 5 years... maybe I'll have to include Italy on that list.

                    My last move was 5 years ago. Why do we do this to ourselves?

                    -Geoffrey, El Gaitero Vato

> [...]

                    the range of almost any bagpipe, but I fudge the high part and it works)
                    > -Polorum Regina (another Llibre Vermell tune, usually I hear it played slow, but it's
                    got a nice jig rhythm, so I play it more quickly. It is a dance, after all!)
                    > -Cantiga 167 (a favourite of mine, very lively)
                    >
                    > And remember, the spirit of a Troubadour is improvisation! I actually have a French
                    troubadour costume being made for me right now, being made by a woman who
                    primarily does Arabic and Turkish costumes.

                    > Now back to the pipes: If you're too flat, and nothing is changing that, you can clip
                    the reed a bit. This is the LAST thing to do, because it's irreversible and can really
                    ruin an otherwise good reed. Try everything else first! I'm happy you're enjoying your
                    pipes. You'll soon know the joys of not having to tune anything but the drone before

                  • kilpatrickbill
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
                      "fiddle-fiddle-fiddle ..." i can hear my father now, picking up the broken pieces of -
                      whatever - while i stood by with my head hung low.

                      i accidently bent back the reed while slipping one of the "o" rings over it - now it
                      makes squawky sounds in the upper register but nothing from down below.
                      (explicative deleted.)

                      did a google search for gibson reeds here in europe but no luck so far. any opinions
                      on "ez" reeds? i can get those on ebay in the UK.

                    • Owlborn@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
                        Awwww shit. You've got to slide it on from the end of the staple. Is the blade creased? If not, then you can probably fix it. Wrap it with some thread. The whole thing, and leave it for a day. If that doesn't work, we may have to just do you another reed.

                        Even if that reed is screwed, KEEP IT. Let it serve as a template for any reeds you need to modify.

                        Most of all: Don't freak! EVERYONE ruins reeds. It's slightly more catastrophic when you're playing a set of historical pipes, but it can be solved.

                        Gibson is a US-based company (in Ohio, I think) but I don't think they'll have a problem shipping internationally. If you want to get some reeds right quick (if you want to experiment yourself), then you can order some. They're fairly inexpensive. Since you'll be experimenting, I recommend getting a bunch (maybe a dozen or two, I think Gibson offers lower prices for bulkier purchases).

                        http://www.gibsonpipes.com/index.html

                        You might be able to find a supplier in the UK, but that's about it. There's plenty of piping supply companies here in the States that carry Gibson Practice Chanter Reeds.

                        Like I said, I won't be able to get to it for a few weeks if you need me to make a reed. See if you can fix that reed. If you can't, see if you can modify one yourself. Just get some Gibson PC reeds, and use the old reed as a template for trimming, sanding, and adjusting the wrapping.

                        I've ruined countless reeds by fiddling with them, and I still do. I've ruined more veuzes chanter reeds than you can count. Don't panic, just wrap the reed to see if you can fix it. Take a picture of it with a digital camera and send it to me, I'll see if it can be saved with minimal fuss.

                        -Geoffrey, El Gaitero Vato

                        "fiddle-fiddle-fiddle ..." i can hear my father now, picking up the broken pieces of -
                        whatever - while i stood by with my head hung low.

                        i accidently bent back the reed while slipping one of the "o" rings over it - now it
                        makes squawky sounds in the upper register but nothing from down below.
                        (explicative deleted.)

                        did a google search for gibson reeds here in europe but no luck so far. any opinions
                        on "ez" reeds? i can get those on ebay in the UK.

                        - bill

                        --- In medievalandrenaissancemusic@yahoogroups.com, Owlborn@... wrote:

                        > The o-rings I use are rubber, fits a bit more snugly to any part of the reed. I think
                        you should be fine using nylon, though. Let me know what other difficulties that reed
                        is causing you.

                        > I don't suppose you've got a recording of you guys playing Ad Mortem Festinamus,
                        do you? I can never hear enough different versions of the song. That was my one
                        disappointment with Ensemble Unicorn's "The Black Madonna", they didn't record
                        what is probably the greatest song from Llibre Vermell de Montserrat! I don't think
                        you can get all of us in Europe at any time together, but I'm planning to go at least to
                        Asturias and Ireland in the next 5 years... maybe I'll have to include Italy on that list.

                        > My last move was 5 years ago. Why do we do this to ourselves?
                        >
                        > -Geoffrey, El Gaitero Vato

                      • kilpatrickbill
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
                          they make movies about guys like you ... thanks for the help. i've already written to
                          the gibson reps here in europe (scotland and ireland) so i think - one way or another
                          - i won't have too much of a problem finding a replacement. i'll wrap up the reed as
                          you suggest while mumbling something restorative. too much excitement for one
                          day ... off to bed - bill

                        • Owlborn@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
                            See if the Gibson reps have any tips about straightening out the reed, as well. Another thing you could do is put the end-half of the exposed blades in a thick book, close the book, and put a few heavy boots on top. Anything you can do, really, to hold the plastic in place for a while, though I wouldn't recommend anything that would malform the plastic (like a vise).

                            What type of movie would you say? I'm certainly no genius, just a guy with a few passionate hobbies that serve as inspiration. I've learned most of what I know about reeds and pipes the same way you are: By making mistakes and learning from them. I've bought some really bad sets of pipes, I've bought some really bad reeds, and I've ruined plenty of reeds. I'd say for the first half of my life playing historical pipes, I spent over half the time with the pipes just dicking with them or the reeds in some manner. Most of that was working on reed designs that worked with a particularly fussy set of pipes (Doedelzak).

                            And it was time well spent. I now have a greater appreciation for historical pipes as a result.

                            See, I think it's a bit easy to be a highland piper. You don't have to know much about reeds, because the reeds are fairly uniform, as are the pipes, aside from ornamentation on the set. The fingering is standard. Finding a teacher is EASY compared to finding a teacher for most other types of pipes... though I hear you can't throw a stick without hitting a Gaitero in Compastella, or a Gaida player in Sofia, Bulgaria. I guess it depends on the tradition. I also think it's kind of funny that there's more highland pipers per capita in the US than there are in Scotland.

                            I played highland pipes for two years, under constant instruction. Only on rare occasions does that thing become a musical instrument. I know two Scots pipers personally that I consider to be musicians, and I've known a lot of Scots pipers.

                            Just take comfort in the fact that you're doing something that really is a rarity. I doubt there are many who even know what a Hummelchen is (I sure didn't until I listened to Piffaro), let alone people who know how to play one of the bloody things. Just remember, the fingering is almost identical to that of a soprano recorder.

                            -Geoffrey, El Gaitero Vato