what instrument do you play?

  • kilpatrickbill
    Message 1 of 24 , May 9, 2006
      assuming you aren't here to get a diploma or meet the man/woman of your dreams,
      may i ask what medieval/renaissance instrument you play?

      i play oud and charango - treating them as oudish lute as represented in the cantigas
      de santa maria illustrations and vihuela de mano. i'd very much like to start playing a
      woodwind but am rather spoiled for choice.

      the girl who started this site doesn't accept emails anymore so we're more or less
      monitorless ...

      hello? ...

      - bill
    • Owlborn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , May 9, 2006
        Well, I started with tinwhistle. I haven't picked on up in a number of years, however. Here's what I play:

        Woodwinds-
        Hummelchen Dudelsack (as featured in the writings of Michael Praetorius, though mine is a single drone) by
        Wolfgang Paukstaadt of Frankfurt
        Nederlans Doedelzak (as featured in the paintings of Pieter Bruegel the Elder). Drones by Brian Steeger
        Chanter, bag, and blowpipe by Alan Keith
        Veuzes, can't recall the maker
        Wide-bore sopranino, soprano, and tenor recorders (can't recall the maker at the moment)
        Flageolettes in D and C, by Ralph Sweet

        Now, some people might think I've spread myself too thin amongst those, but really there isn't much difference. The Hummelchen and the Doedelzak both are using open German fingering (with the Hummies fingering EXACTLY like a soprano recorder, and keyed the same), while the Veuzes uses French half-closed fingering. The fingering for the Hummelchen and Doedelzak are intuitive, as there's no surviving traditions of either.

        Strings-
        Rebec, four stringer. It's a cheap Paki one, but my friend and I spent a LOT of time modifying the little guy to make it into a very nice instrument (including adding a fourth string). I'm honestly not sure about any historical basis for a four-stringed rebec, but it makes it a much more versatile instrument. I'm using Arabic tuning on it, fourths, starting with a low string of A.
        Setar, a four-stringed long-necked lute from Iran. It's almost identical to a type of long-necked lute that was played in Venice around the 13th century, so I use it as such. From what I understand, there was quite a bit of competition between the lute and oud players, and those who played this particular type of Italian lute. First thing I did when I got it was move the frets around, and cut off the excess ones, so I had a chromatic instrument... rather than one that played with quartertones.

        I'm always looking for new sets of historical pipes, particularly ones that Michael Praetorius wrote about. Funny that he sketched so many different sets of pipes, when he was well known for hating them with a passion.

        Cheers!
        -El Gaitero Vato

        assuming you aren't here to get a diploma or meet the man/woman of your dreams,
        may i ask what medieval/renaissance instrument you play?

        i play oud and charango - treating them as oudish lute as represented in the
        cantigas
        de santa maria illustrations and vihuela de mano. i'd very much like to start
        playing a
        woodwind but am rather spoiled for choice.

        the girl who started this site doesn't accept emails anymore so we're more or
        less
        monitorless ...

        hello? ...

        - bill

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • kilpatrickbill
        Message 3 of 24 , May 9, 2006
          i'll be googling for hummelchen and doedelzak tomorrow - first i've heard of them -
          but it's odd you mention woodwinds because i'm thinking of learning how to play
          something from the ENORMOUS woodwind family of instruments. any
          recommendations? i picked up a cheapy recorder a while back - "c" soprano, german
          fingering with double holes - but can't say it's been a tremendous success. i keep
          hearing something deeper, throatier and more "ethnic" in my mind ...

          there's a duduk from armenia on ebay that looks like it might do but i really have no
          idea what's involved or how suitable - or versatile - it would be for early music.

          i hope more people join in.

          ciao - bill

        • Owlborn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , May 9, 2006
            I recommend Wolfgang Paukstaadt, for his Hummelchens. He also makes several other types of pipes. He's got an Ebay shop set up. It's all in German, but Wolfgang speaks fluent English:

            http://stores.ebay.com/Paukis-MUSIKWERKSTATT

            Very nice fellow, and you probably won't beat his prices for a quality set of pipes. He also makes Doedelzaks. I know a few folks aside from myself that have bought his wares, and I've gotten nothing but thanks for recommending his pipes.

            As for other woodwinds... Well, if you're thinking of a more "ethnic" sound (and something that would work well with your 'ud), have you considered getting some manner of ney? In the Balkans, they also have a similar instrument called a kaval. Fully chromatic, but the fingering on both is... interesting, to say nothing of the embochure! What the Bulgarians and Macedonians seem to be doing now is interesting, though.

            The kaval is, in short, a tube with fingerholes. The embochure end has a sharpened ridge, so you have to make a funny embochure and blow across the side, with the whole thing mashed against your face. What they've been doing is replacing the headjoint (with the ridge) with one of a fipple that overblows easily.

            The instrument you're talking about (the Duduk) is... a pain. They're gorgeous, but getting them to play right (and getting a good reed!) is difficult. What you might want to do is go with a mey. It's the same exact instrument, just a different name. The tuning is identical and everything. The only difference is that the mey is typically a more well-made instrument, because it's Turkish. Turkish instruments tend to be of higher quality than similar/identical instruments of surrounding nations, because they're used in Turkish classical music. If you have a Turkish oud, you may have noticed this in comparison to other ouds. This also applies to Turkish neys, Turkish spike fiddles, and other such instruments found in Turkish classical music.

            Both the mey (Turkish) and duduk (Armenian mey, they'll never admit that they simply borrowed it from the Turks) play in a scale called Bayati, I think, which involves quartertones. If you're looking to play it with western music, you might want to try something else.

            What types of music would you be performing with this woodwind instrument? Feel free to ask me any questions, as I actually forgot to list any of the non-western woodwinds that I play (Ney, djura kaval, djura gaida, bloul). If I don't have personal experience or information on it, I know many people that do. Are you more interested in whistles/flutes, shawms (double-bladed reed instruments), or clarinets (of which there is a MASSIVE variety)?

            It's always a pleasure to help a fellow musician, even better if it's something I know!
            -El Gaitero Vato

            Message 5 of 24 , May 10, 2006
              egv - thanks very much. i'm thinking of getting a tenor recorder - probably plastic or
              used, as they're sufficiently reedy in sound (i'm told) and closer (i hope) to what i can
              afford. both my ouds are arabic (excellent-egyptin and cheapo-syrian) and though
              i'm delighted with them, i appreciate what you say about turkish quality.

              pipes looks very interesting. there's a cornamusa in our group which seems to have
              gone missing but when it appears i'll see if i can maketh a joyful din.

              what we perform mostly is early-early, "cantigas" type pieces but i have this idea that
              "folks" continued to perform music in a ... call it rough or rustic manner, right
              through the entire early music era. folk-music in the balkans/eastern europe is
              pretty much the sound i'm looking for - any style where "ethnic" instruments wouldn't
              seem out of place.

              ideally i'd like to busk, do faires, period banquets, etc. as a solo act. i can sing and
              play oud but a little added variety wouldn't go amiss

              thanks again for your consideration.

              mega ciao - bill

            • kilpatrickbill
              Message 6 of 24 , May 10, 2006
                sorry ... make that alto recorder (you can tell how deep in the woods i am with the
                entire woodwind family...) - bill

              • Owlborn@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , May 10, 2006
                  Funny, because my ensemble also performs Cantigas, as well as Arabic, Turkish, and Sephardic music. Try a kaval with a fipple headjoint! They're wonderful instruments if you can ever get the hang of the fingering. There were a few on-line Bulgarian-themed shops I found a while ago that had kavals with fipple headjoints. I was always tempted to get one for myself.

                  My bandmate also has an Egyptian oud of very high quality.

                  Just remember that when you get any recorder, fingering is going to be different between time periods. A medieval recorder is going to have different fingering from a Renaissance wide-bore recorder, and a Renaissance recorder will have different fingering from a Baroque recorder (and that's not even including the double-holes). That's also ignoring any pitch differences. My favourite recorder to play is my wide-bore sopranino. It's a nice high-pitched tone that goes well with other instruments.

                  My favourite instrument of all, though, is my hummelchen. It's not loud and attention-demanding like a conical-bore bagpipe. It's got a nice indoor sound. I guess you might consider it to be the father to all smallpipes, and is still one of the most versatile due to the small fingerholes (plays a HUGE range of chromatics).

                  You know, you're absolutely right about Cantigas being performed for such a long time. In Asturias, they're still played today, and not viewed as these anomalies of historical music.

                  Whereabouts are you? I've been working Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire with a group called Baba Ku (kind of a rotating-membership Turkish/Arabic ensemble, the core member being the baglama saz player Daoud).

                  Anyways, I'll see if I can find where I saw those fipple-head kavals, if you're interested. I don't even think they're very expensive, due to the rather shitty economy of Bulgaria. Cheers!
                  -Geoffrey, El Gaitero Vato

> [...]

                  involves
                  quartertones. If you're looking to play it with western music, you might want to
                  try
                  something else.

                  > What types of music would you be performing with this woodwind instrument?
                  Feel
                  free to ask me any questions, as I actually forgot to list any of the
                  non-western
                  woodwinds that I play (Ney, djura kaval, djura gaida, bloul). If I don't have
                  personal
                  experience or information on it, I know many people that do. Are you more
                  interested
                  in whistles/flutes, shawms (double-bladed reed instruments), or clarinets (of
                  which
                  there is a MASSIVE variety)?

                  > It's always a pleasure to help a fellow musician, even better if it's

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • (John) Byron Boyd
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 10, 2006
                    --- In medievalandrenaissancemusic@yahoogroups.com, kilpatrickbill
                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > assuming you aren't here to get a diploma or meet the man/woman of
                    your dreams,
                    > may i ask what medieval/renaissance instrument you play?

                    I play the lute, the violone, and the pipe and tabor.

                    Byron.
                  • Owlborn@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 11, 2006
                      I wasn't aware you played the pipe and tabor. I've been trying on and off with a Catalonian tabor pipe (axebeba?) and tabor drum. I can play the pipe fine, it's when I throw the drum in the mix that I can't hold a tune.

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 11, 2006
                        "axebeba" on google revealed zilch. the tabor pipe sounds interesting - cheap and
                        cheerful and perfect for a one-man band, such as byron appears to be (complimenti
                        byron ... ) might either of you know alternate names for the tabor (german, for
                        example or middle-eastern or eastern european) and where i might find one -
                        preferably wooden - on-line?

                        i'm an american, originally from ny, living in italy. my "ensemble" is an indeterminate
                        number of loons up in the village who prance around the piazza in medieval
                        muumuus and tights making a load of racket. we do harvest festivals, churchy type
                        events, banquets, etc..

                        when you say you're part of the ren-faire network in calif., can one make a living
                        doing that?

                        i'm not a huge fan of sci-fi illustrations but you're very good at it.

                        what's the name of your oud player? i may know him from mikes oud site.

                        regards - bill

                      • Owlborn@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 11, 2006
                          My bad, Axabeba :) Though it's also used to refer to the end-blown cane flutes that showed up in Spain during the 8th century and onward from the Moors.

                          It's tuned to a minor key, setting it apart from most tabor pipes, and has a VERY wide bore. Now, there's LOTS of makers of tabor pipes (from various woods). I know that Ralph Sweet makes tabor pipes that are very affordable. I don't own any of his tabor pipes, though I do own one of his high-end flageolettes, and the quality is nice.

                          http://www.sweetheartflute.com/ (you might just find yourself a different flute that you like, as well!) There may very well be better tabor pipes out there, but those I know who own Sweet's tabor pipes tend to agree that they're very good instruments.

                          A tabor drum itself, well, anything will do. The traditional thing is a little snare that you hang from the arm that's holding the tabor pipe, or under that arm. Anything will do, though, such as a tambourine, a side drum... anything you can bang. The French used something called a Tambourin a chordes, which was a box with strings tuned to play a chord, played with a stick struck across all the strings. I've only heard one recording of it (by Piffaro), and it sounds really neat. There's a fellow (Alan Keith) up in Mountain View, California, that makes them... but I think they're a touch too expensive. It doesn't seem like it would be a very difficult instrument to make for even someone with novice-like skills in woodworking. I would, but I lack the tools.

                          You're a transplant to Italy, eh? It seems like everywhere else in the world, you can get away with that. There's only a few selected cities in the States you can play around like that without it being a specific type of festival. There's a group out of Mexico (that plays medieval Spanish and Italian music, really just a bunch of kids that got together and decided to do it) called Modus Virens, and they pretty much just set up whenever and wherever, and play... and gather a crowd. If I do that, it's not long before I'm told to shut up (usually by the police). I hear that you can get away with it in Santa Cruz, though. Quite a lot. A friend of mine told me about a naked harpist, who played on a street corner every day, due to there being no nudity laws.

                          The oud player in my ensemble, and one of two founding members (I was added later) of Mozarab is named Fernan Cobian. If you want to give us a listen, Alison Cobian set up a Myspace page while she works over the old Mozarab.com website: http://www.myspace.com/mozarab

                          They're all "quiet" songs we've got up there, though we play a number of loud songs.

                          Cheers!
                          -Geoffrey, El Gaitero Vato

                          "axebeba" on google revealed zilch. the tabor pipe sounds interesting - cheap
                          and
                          cheerful and perfect for a one-man band, such as byron appears to be
                          (complimenti
                          byron ... ) might either of you know alternate names for the tabor (german, for
                          example or middle-eastern or eastern european) and where i might find one -
                          preferably wooden - on-line?

                          i'm an american, originally from ny, living in italy. my "ensemble" is an
                          indeterminate
                          number of loons up in the village who prance around the piazza in medieval
                          muumuus and tights making a load of racket. we do harvest festivals, churchy
                          type
                          events, banquets, etc..

                          when you say you're part of the ren-faire network in calif., can one make a
                          living
                          doing that?

                          i'm not a huge fan of sci-fi illustrations but you're very good at it.

                          what's the name of your oud player? i may know him from mikes oud site.

                          regards - bill

                          --- In medievalandrenaissancemusic@yahoogroups.com, Owlborn@... wrote:

                          > I wasn't aware you played the pipe and tabor. I've been trying on and off with
                          Catalonian tabor pipe (axebeba?) and tabor drum. I can play the pipe fine, it's
                          when I
                          throw the drum in the mix that I can't hold a tune.

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • kilpatrickbill
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 12, 2006
                            the tabor is called a flabiol in catalonia, a galoubet in france and in basque, a txistu
                            (try and pronounce it ... ) thanks for the tabor information. i'm more or less obliged
                            to stick with the recorder at this stage - as they're available locally and it's easy to
                            find a teacher.

                            we're usually invited to play by municipal tourist offices promoting a local medieval
                            festival or banquet of some sort. i expect that if i were to busk in the
                            conventional sense, without permission, i'd be moved along by the carabinieri pretty
                            quickly - why do police the world over hate music? i know of a group in texas who
                            seem to provide entertainment on a permanent basis for a semipermanent "ren-
                            faire." from what i gather, those who don't have alternative employment (one is a
                            cello player with a local symphony orchestra) live in trailers and hang-out all year
                            round. i'm just curious to know if one can make a living like that.

                            i checked out the mp3s at the mozarab blog site and they're very good. if he isn't
                            already doing so, please tell fernan to log onto mikes:

                            http://www.mikeouds.com/

                            ... as most of the contributors - while extremely amiable and polite - are involved
                            with arabic music of one sort or another; me being the only self-avowed, medieval
                            european oud player there.

                            i'm sure as well that the "cantigas" selection of songs continued to be played
                            through-out the entire early music period but i also believe that folks ... peasants ...
                            the great unwashed ... hoi polloi, etc.. continued to make their own music as well -
                            sacred and profane. there aren't many reference to support this but - just to give you
                            an idea - here's a little instrument that i'm sure never saw the inside of a church or
                            entertained royalty:

                            http://www.italianfolkmusic.com/catalano.html

                            ... (third photo down). i'm not interested in learning how to play a pig's bladder fiddle
                            but i do like to play the "cantigas" songs a little rough - not too rough, but with just
                            the right amount of campo-credibility.

                            mega ciao - bill

                            --- In medievalandrenaissancemusic@yahoogroups.com, Owlborn@... wrote:

                            > My bad, Axabeba :) Though it's also used to refer to the end-blown cane flutes that
                            showed up in Spain during the 8th century and onward from the Moors.

                            > It's tuned to a minor key, setting it apart from most tabor pipes, and has a VERY
                            wide bore. Now, there's LOTS of makers of tabor pipes (from various woods). I know
                            that Ralph Sweet makes tabor pipes that are very affordable. I don't own any of his
                            tabor pipes, though I do own one of his high-end flageolettes, and the quality is nice.

                            > http://www.sweetheartflute.com/ (you might just find yourself a different flute that
                            you like, as well!) There may very well be better tabor pipes out there, but those I
                            know who own Sweet's tabor pipes tend to agree that they're very good instruments.

                            > A tabor drum itself, well, anything will do. The traditional thing is a little snare that
                            you hang from the arm that's holding the tabor pipe, or under that arm. Anything will
                            do, though, such as a tambourine, a side drum... anything you can bang. The French
                            used something called a Tambourin a chordes, which was a box with strings tuned to
                            play a chord, played with a stick struck across all the strings. I've only heard one
                            recording of it (by Piffaro), and it sounds really neat. There's a fellow (Alan Keith) up
                            in Mountain View, California, that makes them... but I think they're a touch too
                            expensive. It doesn't seem like it would be a very difficult instrument to make for
                            even someone with novice-like skills in woodworking. I would, but I lack the tools.

                            > You're a transplant to Italy, eh? It seems like everywhere else in the world, you can
                            get away with that. There's only a few selected cities in the States you can play around
                            like that without it being a specific type of festival. There's a group out of Mexico
                            (that plays medieval Spanish and Italian music, really just a bunch of kids that got
                            together and decided to do it) called Modus Virens, and they pretty much just set up
                            whenever and wherever, and play... and gather a crowd. If I do that, it's not long
                            before I'm told to shut up (usually by the police). I hear that you can get away with it
                            in Santa Cruz, though. Quite a lot. A friend of mine told me about a naked harpist,
                            who played on a street corner every day, due to there being no nudity laws.

                            > The oud player in my ensemble, and one of two founding members (I was added
                            later) of Mozarab is named F fernan Cobian. If you want to give us a listen, Alison

                          • milleregrets
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 17, 2006
                              Hi,
                              I play bowed basses, lever harp and bodhran. I'd really like to
                              learn the Oud. I am not in a big town where that is likely to
                              happen, hough. I can go to a workshop, I know. I am much more
                              likely, in reality, to spend the time and money on viol workshops.
                              Because I would have to travel far either way.

                              Bowed basses= bass viola da gamba, a little tenor viol, violone,
                              upright bass, cello (my childhood instrument, my "gateway" bass.)

                              I also want to learn the guitarron. And theorbo. As a side note,
                              almost none of the instruments I own can be transported in my Ford
                              Tempo. But the bass viol is good to go...

                              Thanks for asking! I hope I am not too late with my reply but this
                              was my first login in a while.
                              <no_reply@...> wrote:

                              > assuming you aren't here to get a diploma or meet the man/woman of
                              your dreams,
                              > may i ask what medieval/renaissance instrument you play?
                              >
                              > i play oud and charango - treating them as oudish lute as
                              represented in the cantigas
                              > de santa maria illustrations and vihuela de mano. i'd very much
                              like to start playing a
                              > woodwind but am rather spoiled for choice.
                              >
                              > the girl who started this site doesn't accept emails anymore so
                              we're more or less
                              > monitorless ...
                              >
                              > hello? ...
                              >
                              > - bill

                            • kilpatrickbill
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 18, 2006
                                dear "regrets" ... thousands of 'em -

                                i was in the same boat, more or less - very far from anyone who could teach me how
                                to play. i asked a friend of mine who was living in egypt at the time if she would keep
                                an eye open for me for "something" to play with the medieval group we have here in
                                the village. she brought me back a stunningly beautiful oud and that was that.

                                should you get an oud (turkish or arabian) here's two good places to learn the basics:

                                http://www.oudcafe.com/

                                http://www.mikeouds.com/

                                both sites are geared to middle-eastern music but the basic elements (tuning, how to
                                hold the instrument, etc.) will apply even if you play medieval european music. there
                                is a style of play called arabo-andalusian which has many connections to european
                                music - as with the "cantigas de santa maria" ... quite a few "oudy" lutes illustrated in
                                the collection.

                                other than that i would suggest you find a cd recording with a style of oud you like
                                and drive everyone nuts listening to it as you learn ... that's what i did.

                                mille greetings - bill

                                -- In medievalandrenaissancemusic@yahoogroups.com, milleregrets <no_reply@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                > I play bowed basses, lever harp and bodhran. I'd really like to
                                > learn the Oud. I am not in a big town where that is likely to
                                > happen, hough. I can go to a workshop, I know. I am much more
                                > likely, in reality, to spend the time and money on viol workshops.
                                > Because I would have to travel far either way.
                                >
                                > Bowed basses= bass viola da gamba, a little tenor viol, violone,
                                > upright bass, cello (my childhood instrument, my "gateway" bass.)
                                >
                                > I also want to learn the guitarron. And theorbo. As a side note,
                                > almost none of the instruments I own can be transported in my Ford
                                > Tempo. But the bass viol is good to go...
                                >
                                > Thanks for asking! I hope I am not too late with my reply but this
                                > was my first login in a while.
                                > --- In medievalandrenaissancemusic@yahoogroups.com, kilpatrickbill
                                > <no_reply@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > assuming you aren't here to get a diploma or meet the man/woman of
                                > your dreams,
                                > > may i ask what medieval/renaissance instrument you play?
                                > >
                                > > i play oud and charango - treating them as oudish lute as
                                > represented in the cantigas
                                > > de santa maria illustrations and vihuela de mano. i'd very much
                                > like to start playing a
                                > > woodwind but am rather spoiled for choice.
                                > >
                                > > the girl who started this site doesn't accept emails anymore so
                                > we're more or less
                                > > monitorless ...
                                > >
                                > > hello? ...
                                > >
                                > > - bill

                              • kilpatrickbill
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 18, 2006
                                  dear geoffrey -

                                  i'm saving my pennies for a hummelchen from this gentleman:

                                  http://www.sackpfeifenmacher.de/

                                  the price is not much different than the pipe-maker you recommended. the only
                                  reason i'm choosing him is because i'm pretty sure he makes these himself AND! he
                                  very thoughtfully included mp3 sound samples of all his instruments on his site.

                                  i'm sure this would be classified as madness in anyone other than such as we - but i
                                  simply could not sleep last night ... i kept thinking about and hearing the sound of
                                  this beautiful instrument.

                                  i blame you ...

                                • wouter verschuren
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 18, 2006
                                    Dear Bill,
                                    You could also check out Paul Beekhuizen in The Netherlands.
                                    www.paulbeekhuizen.nl He's very experienced and not expensive. Piffaro play
                                    his instruments.
                                    Best wishes,
                                    Wouter Verschuren

                                  • Owlborn@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 18, 2006
                                      Beekhuizen has a gigantic waiting list, unfortunately. I tried getting one of his Doedelzaks some years ago, and he lost my information, then I got back in line, then I never heard from him again. It's a pity, because his pipes are rather affordable, and high quality (I have the word of Piffaro's director on that).

                                      -Geoffrey, El Gaitero Vato

> [...]

                                      > set up
                                      > whenever and wherever, and play... and gather a crowd. If I do that, it's not
                                      > long
                                      > before I'm told to shut up (usually by the police). I hear that you can get
                                      > away with it
                                      > in Santa Cruz, though. Quite a lot. A friend of mine told me about a naked
                                      > harpist,
                                      > who played on a street corner every day, due to there being no nudity laws.
                                      >>
                                      >> The oud player in my ensemble, and one of two founding members (I was added
                                      > later) of Mozarab is named Fernan Cobian. If you want to give us a listen,
                                      > Alison
                                      > Cobian set up a Myspace page while she works over the old Mozarab.com website:
                                      > http://www.myspace.com/mozarab
                                      >>
                                      >> They're all "quiet" songs we've got up there, though we play a number of loud

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Owlborn@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 18, 2006
                                        I've heard very good things about Steffen Fischer's wares. In regards to Wolfgang, there are some wares that he buys from others, but the hummies I have (as well as the vast majority of his other pipes) are by his hand. He's actually gone and hired someone to deal with sales now, since he's gotten so busy with making pipes. I'm actually having Wolfgang make me a custom doedelzak chanter to replace mine (which was never really well-made).

                                        Looking at Fischer's hummies, I can see one advantage that Wolfgang's hummies have, but this may not interest you:

                                        Wolfgang's hummelchen drones have three sections. With all three sections, the drone may be tuned to D or C. However, if you remove the end section (which makes little difference in tonal quality, since it's not a capped drone), the drone tunes to G and F (like Fischer's, only an octave higher). Historically, the tuning was G and/or F, but having a drone that can do either D and C or G and F is rather convenient, and dramatically expands the repetoire that they can play (for example: Saltarello II sounds great in D-minor on a hummelchen).

                                        Not to discourage you from Fischer's pipes! In fact, I'm rather interested in how much you like them, if you get them, as I've never met anyone with Fischer's hummies.

                                        As long as they're well-made (and I don't see why Steffen Fischer would skimp on his hummies, his Mitelalter Dudelsacks sound gorgeous, I believe that Wolgemut and Kiki Riki both play sets made by Fischer) then I think you'll be happy.

                                        What kind of reeds does Fischer use for his hummelchens, anyways? Wolfgang was using Shepherd Great Highland Bagpipe Practice Chanter reeds, until I turned him on to Gibson practice chanter reeds (wider, louder, and more stable). He just clips them and sands them a bit, and they work like a charm.

                                        Oh, make sure to ask Fischer what the full range of his hummelchens are, what range of chromatics they're capable of playing. My Wolfgang hummelchen can play all sharps/flats with crossfingering except for the low c#. Anyways, good luck, and I hope Fischer's pipes turn out well for you!
                                        -Geoffrey, El Gaitero Vato

> [...]

                                        set up
                                        whenever and wherever, and play... and gather a crowd. If I do that, it's not
                                        long
                                        before I'm told to shut up (usually by the police). I hear that you can get away
                                        with it
                                        in Santa Cruz, though. Quite a lot. A friend of mine told me about a naked
                                        harpist,
                                        who played on a street corner every day, due to there being no nudity laws.

                                        > The oud player in my ensemble, and one of two founding members (I was added
                                        later) of Mozarab is named Fernan Cobian. If you want to give us a listen,
                                        Alison
                                        Cobian set up a Myspace page while she works over the old Mozarab.com website:
                                        http://www.myspace.com/mozarab

                                        > They're all "quiet" songs we've got up there, though we play a number of loud

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • wouter verschuren
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 18, 2006
                                          Hi Geoffrey,
                                          I know Paul Beekhuizen very well. Maybe it was a misunderstanding, I don't
                                          know, but I'm sure he is worth contacting again. I know his instuments. He's
                                          a good maker indeed. I think his waitinglist is nor too bad at the moment.
                                          Kind regards,
                                          Wouter

                                        • Owlborn@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 18, 2006
                                            I've got all the pipes I want (or can afford) at the moment, unfortunately. I was trying to get my hands on one of his doedelzaks, but wound up buying a used one (at a bargain) from Alan Keith in Mountain View, California. Thanks for letting me know, I'll give it another shot soon. I don't blame Paul himself, I figured that there was some manner of technical problem, and I found another doedelzak by a reputed pipemaker that was ready for sale, so I snatched it up.

                                            I still drool every time I hear Paul Beekhuizen's pipes on that album that Piffaro did with the Orlando Consort, Music for a Medici Procession. Track 1 is amazing.

                                            -Geoffrey, El Gaitero

                                            I know Paul Beekhuizen very well. Maybe it was a misunderstanding, I don't
                                            know, but I'm sure he is worth contacting again. I know his instuments. He's
                                            a good maker indeed. I think his waitinglist is nor too bad at the moment.
                                            Kind regards,
                                            Wouter

                                            On 18-05-2006 21:26, "Owlborn@..." <Owlborn@...> wrote:

                                            > Beekhuizen has a gigantic waiting list, unfortunately. I tried getting one of
                                            > his Doedelzaks some years ago, and he lost my information, then I got back in
                                            > line, then I never heard from him again. It's a pity, because his pipes are
                                            > rather affordable, and high quality (I have the word of Piffaro's director on
                                            > that).
                                            >
                                            > -Geoffrey, El Gaitero Vato

                                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • milleregrets
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 19, 2006
                                              Greetings Bill,
                                              Thanks for the info! Those sites had so much. I am especially
                                              interested in the pages explaining the scales and rhythms. Many
                                              hours of entertainment await me.

                                              As a side note, Yahoo wouldn't take any of my first-pick names:
                                              someone had beat me to it. "Millez regrets" is one of my favorite
                                              songs, as recorded by Savall and Co. on "Carlos V" but yahoo
                                              wouldn't let me have a z. Or an s. I guess it is 2 other people's
                                              favorite song? Or it may be a common phrase, similar to "a thousand
                                              pardons." Who knows.

                                              While you are being informative, do you have a workshop to
                                              recommend? I probably will go to some viol thing, as I mentioned
                                              before, but it is best to be informed of the options.

                                              Also, sometimes I tip my viol over my lap and pretend I am playing a
                                              lute. Tablature works great for this. My frets are removable and I
                                              have several viols. I could take the frets off one. Or, more like,
                                              stop replacing them as they disintegrate.

                                              I wonder how people would respond to someone playing Middle Eastern
                                              music on a plucked viol? There are drummers all around me, so I
                                              could get some help there. It still might be too weird, though.

                                              I like all the old music: early, world, folk, celtic... Right up
                                              through Baroque. And Billie Holiday. And Pink Floyd too. I'm not
                                              very exclusive musically.

                                              <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                              > dear "regrets" ... thousands of 'em -
                                              >
                                              > i was in the same boat, more or less - very far from anyone who
                                              could teach me how
                                              > to play. i asked a friend of mine who was living in egypt at the
                                              time if she would keep
                                              > an eye open for me for "something" to play with the medieval group
                                              we have here in
                                              > the village. she brought me back a stunningly beautiful oud and
                                              that was that.

                                              > should you get an oud (turkish or arabian) here's two good places
                                              to learn the basics:

                                              > http://www.oudcafe.com/
                                              >
                                              > http://www.mikeouds.com/
                                              >
                                              > both sites are geared to middle-eastern music but the basic
                                              elements (tuning, how to
                                              > hold the instrument, etc.) will apply even if you play medieval
                                              european music. there
                                              > is a style of play called arabo-andalusian which has many
                                              connections to european
                                              > music - as with the "cantigas de santa maria" ... quite a
                                              few "oudy" lutes illustrated in
                                              > the collection.
                                              >
                                              > other than that i would suggest you find a cd recording with a
                                              style of oud you like
                                              > and drive everyone nuts listening to it as you learn ... that's
                                              what i did.

                                              > mille greetings - bill

                                            • kilpatrickbill
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 20, 2006
                                                dear millie (heh-heh ... )

                                                depending on where are and whether you'll be able to attend or not, you'll usually
                                                find oud-camp/workshop type notices on the messageboard at mikes.

                                                you may be aware of this gentleman but if not, violas are definitely his thing and he
                                                has an enormous amount of iconography and other information on them - both
                                                plucked and bowed:

                                                http://www.thecipher.com/

                                                ouds are very soulful instruments, i think.

                                                wrote:

                                                > Greetings Bill,
                                                > Thanks for the info! Those sites had so much. I am especially
                                                > interested in the pages explaining the scales and rhythms. Many
                                                > hours of entertainment await me.
                                                >
                                                > As a side note, Yahoo wouldn't take any of my first-pick names:
                                                > someone had beat me to it. "Millez regrets" is one of my favorite
                                                > songs, as recorded by Savall and Co. on "Carlos V" but yahoo
                                                > wouldn't let me have a z. Or an s. I guess it is 2 other people's
                                                > favorite song? Or it may be a common phrase, similar to "a thousand
                                                > pardons." Who knows.
                                                >
                                                > While you are being informative, do you have a workshop to
                                                > recommend? I probably will go to some viol thing, as I mentioned
                                                > before, but it is best to be informed of the options.
                                                >
                                                > Also, sometimes I tip my viol over my lap and pretend I am playing a
                                                > lute. Tablature works great for this. My frets are removable and I
                                                > have several viols. I could take the frets off one. Or, more like,
                                                > stop replacing them as they disintegrate.
                                                >
                                                > I wonder how people would respond to someone playing Middle Eastern
                                                > music on a plucked viol? There are drummers all around me, so I
                                                > could get some help there. It still might be too weird, though.
                                                >
                                                > I like all the old music: early, world, folk, celtic... Right up
                                                > through Baroque. And Billie Holiday. And Pink Floyd too. I'm not
                                                > very exclusive musically.
                                                >
                                                > --- In medievalandrenaissancemusic@yahoogroups.com, kilpatrickbill
                                                > <no_reply@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > dear "regrets" ... thousands of 'em -
                                                > >
                                                > > i was in the same boat, more or less - very far from anyone who
                                                > could teach me how
                                                > > to play. i asked a friend of mine who was living in egypt at the
                                                > time if she would keep
                                                > > an eye open for me for "something" to play with the medieval group
                                                > we have here in
                                                > > the village. she brought me back a stunningly beautiful oud and
                                                > that was that.
                                                > >
                                                > > should you get an oud (turkish or arabian) here's two good places
                                                > to learn the basics:
                                                > >
                                                > > http://www.oudcafe.com/
                                                > >
                                                > > http://www.mikeouds.com/
                                                > >
                                                > > both sites are geared to middle-eastern music but the basic
                                                > elements (tuning, how to
                                                > > hold the instrument, etc.) will apply even if you play medieval
                                                > european music. there
                                                > > is a style of play called arabo-andalusian which has many
                                                > connections to european
                                                > > music - as with the "cantigas de santa maria" ... quite a
                                                > few "oudy" lutes illustrated in
                                                > > the collection.
                                                > >
                                                > > other than that i would suggest you find a cd recording with a
                                                > style of oud you like
                                                > > and drive everyone nuts listening to it as you learn ... that's
                                                > what i did.
                                                > >
                                                > > mille greetings - bill

                                              • kilpatrickbill
                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 23, 2006
                                                  one two three
                                                • milleregrets
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 3, 2006
                                                    I was going through messages and someone asked about piper minutia
                                                    being boring. To some, maybe, but I'm doing ok. I am liking the
                                                    links even if I am not a piper, just because. Anyway, if anyone
                                                    wants to talk about some other topic on this list, then they should
                                                    post something.

                                                    Here is a piper peeve really applicable to any wind player: when we
                                                    are all gathered together at the beginning getting ready to play,
                                                    let me tune my strings. Can't blow harder and change pitch. Got
                                                    frets. If I get it set before playing, then everybody is much
                                                    happier. It actually goes quite quickly, if I can hear myself. The
                                                    lowest pitches are the hardest to hear during general pandemonium.
                                                    Usually I go to another room to tune, but I do have a chair bow
                                                    instrument and tuner to haul hither and yon, and the instrument is a
                                                    hollow wooden box that I've got to be careful moving around with my
                                                    arms full, so it is a bit of a pain. I also have to leave my case
                                                    rosin purse and possibly a stand or a coat behind unattended when I
                                                    do this. I do arrive early, but usually so do some wind players.

                                                    Still like pipers though.

                                                    ---