[MEDIEVAL AND RENAISSANCE MUSIC] Re: less common medieval/renaissance music instruments?

  • Geoffrey
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7, 2004
      I know, this is a REALLY old post, but I figured someone might like
      to know, if still interested in building a three-string bowed lyre.
      Though I'm lothe to recommend Lark in the Morning to anyone, they are
      under new ownership and management, and they seem to be addressing
      some of the old issues with bad service, return policies, and lack of
      quality control. Anyways, I thought maybe this might breath a little
      life back into this list.

      In any case, what would work VERY well would be a simple bowed
      psaltery bow. Lark in the Morning sells some pretty decent ones for
      $25, I think. I have two (one is a backup) that I use for playing my
      rebec (I don't care for the proper rebec bows). If anyone's
      interested making one, rather than buying one, I'll gladly take some
      close-up photos of mine, so they can get a good look at it.

      -El Gaitero Vato

      --- In medievalandrenaissancemusic@yahoogroups.com, hugh ryan
      <saporling2@y...> wrote:
      > you know a really easy instrument to make would be a simple
      rectangular bowed 3 string lyre. you'd have to learn to bow the
      thing but it's not really hard to get a sound and making a simple bow
      is easy with a small flexible dowel, some light weight fishing
      string, and some rosin. just put a small notch with a thin saw blade
      in each end of a, oh about 2 to 2 1/2' long dowel about 3/8 or 1/4
      inch thick, tie each end of the fishing string which will take at
      least a dozen stands and make it fit the dowel when bent a little.
      that will keep up the tension quite nicely.
      > as for the lyre-you could get a rectangular peice of your favorite
      wood-within reason, perhaps something as soft as pine to something
      more like walnut. the cutout up top can be more squareish and you
      can just chisel out some on the belly to make a reasonating space.
      just cover the belly up with either a peice of thin ply(birch
      perhaps) or a solid wood that's wide enough and tack the thing on
      with thin nails(you can hammer them lightly to make them more
      rectangular) or just glue it on with some wood glue. if you don't
      want to make the pegs or the peg holes-perhaps a wood worker might be
      happy to do so for a small fee.