Re: I need a pattern...

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17, 2005
      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Phlip" <phlip@9...> wrote:
      >Don't know if you guys might have one, but I need a pattern for a
      >boot. It needs to be roughly knee high, don't really care if it's
      >flat heeled or heeled, but it needs to be both comfortable and
      >reasonably period for me. I doubt I'll find anything very close, but
      >the period I'm looking toward is early 6th century Byzantine or
      >Turkic...

      If it's 6th century it's going to not have a heel :)

      Byzantine stuff is virtually impossible to find, and "turkic" is
      almost always protrayed as somethgin like
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19255&item=5543059127&tc=
      photo

      Based on the Coptic shoe designs (which I believe represent techniques
      and concepts available in the Byzantine Empire between 0 and 800, I'd
      say that you might want to look at the Zanjin Salt Man's boot
      (although that's thought to be 2d century). I could come up with a
      design, but it would be a guess (an educated guess, but a guess, none
      the less).

      Marc
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2005
        Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

        > Based on the Coptic shoe designs (which I believe represent techniques
        > and concepts available in the Byzantine Empire between 0 and 800, I'd
        > say that you might want to look at the Zanjin Salt Man's boot
        > (although that's thought to be 2d century). I could come up with a
        > design, but it would be a guess (an educated guess, but a guess, none
        > the less).
        >
        > Marc

        OK, couldn't find anything on the web about the salt man boot. Looked at the
        one on Ebay, and I could work with something like that, particularly if I
        reduced the extreme toe curl (all I need is something else to trip over ;-)
        Was not, however particularly impressed by the workmanship of the item
        itself, as pictured- looks like they didn't do a particularly good job of
        connecting the upper section with the shoe section, and I'm assuming they
        pictured their best effort.

        If you came up with a design, I'd be willing to try it- knowing you and your
        skills, one just like it would turn up in the next dig ;-)

        Saint Phlip,
        CoD

        Blacksmith's credo.

        cat.

        Never a horse that cain't be rode,

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2005
          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Phlip" <phlip@9...> wrote:
          > If you came up with a design, I'd be willing to try it- knowing you
          > and your skills, one just like it would turn up in the next dig ;-)

          Yeah, I'm sure :)

          I'll sketch something up and scan it in this evening.

          Marc
        • Phlip
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 17, 2005
            Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

            > > If you came up with a design, I'd be willing to try it- knowing you
            > > and your skills, one just like it would turn up in the next dig ;-)
            >
            > Yeah, I'm sure :)
            >
            > I'll sketch something up and scan it in this evening.
            >
            > Marc

            Hey, flattering you unmercifully is good for you ;-) Hard as you work at
            this, and as much as you're willing to share, I think very highly of you
            apart from your shoemaking skills, even if you are cranky at times ;-)

            Thanks, Marc, I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Once I get the
            things made, I'll send you pictures.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 17, 2005
              --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Phlip" <phlip@9...> wrote:
              > Hey, flattering you unmercifully is good for you ;-) Hard as you
              > work at this, and as much as you're willing to share, I think very
              > highly of you apart from your shoemaking skills, even if you are
              > cranky at times ;-)

              Trust me, I'm WAY less cranky than I used to be :)

              > Thanks, Marc, I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Once I
              > get the things made, I'll send you pictures.

              It's in the file section under "Scan2228.gif". Let me know if it's
              not clear.

              Marc
            • Phlip
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 17, 2005
                Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

                > > Hey, flattering you unmercifully is good for you ;-) Hard as you
                > > work at this, and as much as you're willing to share, I think very
                > > highly of you apart from your shoemaking skills, even if you are
                > > cranky at times ;-)
                >
                > Trust me, I'm WAY less cranky than I used to be :)

                Good drugs?

                ;-)

                > > Thanks, Marc, I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Once I
                > > get the things made, I'll send you pictures.
                >
                > It's in the file section under "Scan2228.gif". Let me know if it's
                > not clear.
                >
                > Marc

                Looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for. Simple, straightforward,
                without a bunch of decoration to catch burning stuff.

                Now, I take it the seams are outside? And is the leg bit one or two piece?
                If one, is the seam to the inside or the outside?

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 17, 2005
                  --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Phlip" <phlip@9...> wrote:
                  > > Trust me, I'm WAY less cranky than I used to be :)
                  > Good drugs?
                  > ;-)

                  Practice at ignoring people who really annoy the crap out of me :)

                  > Looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for. Simple,
                  > straightforward, without a bunch of decoration to catch burning
                  > stuff.

                  You can decorate it to your heart's content.

                  > Now, I take it the seams are outside? And is the leg bit one or two
                  > piece? If one, is the seam to the inside or the outside?

                  The photo looks like the seams are on the inside (my guess is it's a
                  round closing, but that leg is going to be a lot of work). The leg
                  looks like it's one piece with an attached "heel" quarter and vamp.
                  What you may wind up with is the boot leg angling back somewhat, which
                  is how some of the much later turkish boots work, so you'd get some
                  wrinkling in the instep area.