rabbit glue?

  • fitchbone
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2004
      I was just talking to a friend about a leather project he wants to do, and he mentioned
      that some armorer friends of ours told him that rabbit glue (???) was a common
      leather-hardening agent. I'm not sure I've heard about this before now, but my
      research has been lagging lately. Anyone have any information about this? I'm very
      curious.

      Thanks!
    • Anna Troy
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
        That's Rabbit HIDE glue :-) What I know about it is
        that it was a common ingridient when making
        gesso(gilding base) for manuscript illuminations.

        A�nna T

        --- fitchbone <fitchbone@...> wrote:

        > I was just talking to a friend about a leather
        > project he wants to do, and he mentioned
        > that some armorer friends of ours told him that
        > rabbit glue (???) was a common
        > leather-hardening agent. I'm not sure I've heard
        > about this before now, but my
        > research has been lagging lately. Anyone have any
        > information about this? I'm very
        > curious.
        >
        > Thanks!

        > --------------------~-->
        > Toolbar.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/sK9olB/TM

        =====
        "So many books, so little time"
      • T Goat
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005
          Thanks, Anna, that's interesting!

          But back to my original query, reworded: is anyone
          here aware of the use of rabbit hide glue as a
          leather-hardening agent? I'm a shoemaker; stiffer
          leather is not to my advantage very often, so I'm
          rather out of my depth.

          http://my.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005
            --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, T Goat <fitchbone@y...> wrote:
            > But back to my original query, reworded: is anyone
            > here aware of the use of rabbit hide glue as a
            > leather-hardening agent? I'm a shoemaker; stiffer
            > leather is not to my advantage very often, so I'm
            > rather out of my depth.

            I know I've heard of doping leather with things like resin to harden
            them, but I've never heard of using a glue like that to do it. Now,
            using for hardening fabric, sure, so it might work if you wanted to
            try it. You may want to heat the leather to make it easier to absorb
            the liquid, and make your glue really runny.

            Let us know how it works, please.

            Marc
          • T Goat
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005
              Thanks for the input gentlemen, very astute
              observations. I was only asking out of curiosity,
              though: I don't have any projects in the works that
              require stiffening, and frankly, the plain ol'
              water-based cuir-bolis (sic) method seems more
              parsimonious, and less likely to go soft in the rain.
              Occam's razor and all that. I'll try to remember to
              ask these armorers where they got the idea, and get
              back to you with that.

              For the record, I impregnated some leather with wax
              (in an ill-informed attempt at cuir-bolis in the dark
              ages before the internet). Among the pieces in
              question were a pair of vambraces-- I used approx. 10
              oz veg tanned leather, and today they might as well be
              Kevlar. Mighty impressive, and surprisingly
              mold-resistant for leather in Kansas.

              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005
                At 06:39 AM 1/4/2005, T Goatwrote:
                >Thanks, Anna, that's interesting!
                >
                >But back to my original query, reworded: is anyone
                >here aware of the use of rabbit hide glue as a
                >leather-hardening agent? I'm a shoemaker; stiffer
                >leather is not to my advantage very often, so I'm
                >rather out of my depth.

                >--- Anna Troy <owly3@...> wrote:
                >
                > > That's Rabbit HIDE glue What I know about it is
                > > that it was a common ingridient when making
                > > gesso(gilding base) for manuscript illuminations

                The only reference I recall is in Cennini's _The Craftsman's Handbook_
                (ISBN0-486-20054-X) the chapter on making crests he says to take the size
                used for making gesso, and size the leather two or three times before
                applying gesso to the molded leather.

              • Neil Carr
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2005
                  Ron Charlotte wrote:

                  > The only reference I recall is in Cennini's _The Craftsman's Handbook_
                  > (ISBN0-486-20054-X) the chapter on making crests he says to take the size
                  > used for making gesso, and size the leather two or three times before
                  > applying gesso to the molded leather.

                  Yes, but at that point the leather's already been dried while packed
                  with sand, IIRC, so the hardening's already been done. I think in that
                  case the size is just for the gesso.

                  --
                  Neil Carr

                  (WebFoundry CC : CK99/27408/23)
                  Members:
                  Neil Carr
                  Karen Shippey
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 5, 2005
                    At 12:03 PM 1/5/2005, Neil Carr wrote:
                    > > The only reference I recall is in Cennini's _The Craftsman's Handbook_
                    > > (ISBN0-486-20054-X) the chapter on making crests he says to take the size
                    > > used for making gesso, and size the leather two or three times before
                    > > applying gesso to the molded leather.
                    > >
                    >Yes, but at that point the leather's already been dried while packed
                    >with sand, IIRC, so the hardening's already been done. I think in that
                    >case the size is just for the gesso.

                    The leather in that case has been _molded_ , but not truly hardened (there
                    is some hardening effect from each wet to dry transition, but it can be
                    wetted and altered again until the leather has been made water
                    resistant). I think of the application of the size as much as a sealer as
                    it is a stiffener. It _would_ serve to firm up the "body" of the leather a
                    bit. Think of the textural difference between acrylic, oil, lacquer and
                    wax based sealers.

                  • sarfraz ahmad
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 6, 2005
                      Dear Ron,
                      How are you.
                      I want to ask you a personal question.Are you
                      related to leather buiseness?I am also related to leather business and I am
                      a Qualified leather technologist.We can exchange information regarding
                      leather and leather business.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 6, 2005
                        At 03:34 AM 1/6/2005, you wrote:
                        >Dear Ron,
                        > How are you.
                        > I want to ask you a personal question.Are you
                        >related to leather buiseness?I am also related to leather business and I am
                        >a Qualified leather technologist.We can exchange information regarding
                        >leather and leather business.

                        Nope, I'm just an amateur with a lot of years devoted to the craft. The
                        history of technology is my personal pet project. I still welcome the
                        correspondence; every nugget of information is of value to me.