RE: [medieval-leather] Leather Stiffener

  • Jennifer Cootware
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2004
      You may want to look at Stephen Turnbull's samurai books. I don't
      remember if oriental LEATHER was covered in laquer, but I know that to
      prevent environmental damage, laquer was used in making armor, but that was
      usually metal armor. His books are really REALLY great for researching
      medieval Japanese warfare and items, and I think (but don't quote me on
      that) that he did mention the use of laquer on leather, including stiffened
      leather for things like the hands and forearms (also bamboo was used, but I
      could be mixing this information up with what I learned about Chinese
      armor).

      Jenn/Tanja