Bracers

  • Jennifer Cootware
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 11, 2004
      Does anyone have any documentation on the use of leather bracers in the
      middle ages or Renaissance? I like leather working and making bracers for
      decoration, but I don't even know if they were actually used, beyond metal
      ones in armor. I'd appreciate any information on leather bracers anyone can
      give me, especially if anyone has any medieval art that depicts (or seems to
      depict) the existence and use of leather bracers. Thanks.

      Jennifer Cootware (real name)

    • muck
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 11, 2004
        Well, I have documentation on several styles of leather archery bracers,
        but I don't know if that's what you want.

        Phillip the Skeptic

        On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Jennifer Cootware wrote:

        > Does anyone have any documentation on the use of leather bracers in the
        > middle ages or Renaissance? I like leather working and making bracers for
        > decoration, but I don't even know if they were actually used, beyond metal
        > ones in armor. I'd appreciate any information on leather bracers anyone can
        > give me, especially if anyone has any medieval art that depicts (or seems to
        > depict) the existence and use of leather bracers. Thanks.
        >
        > Jennifer Cootware (real name)

      • leatherchain
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12, 2004
          Jennifer,
          I can't remember or find the book, but there is a desription and
          sketch of a full arm harness used for French tournaments in the 14th
          or 15th century made completely out of leather with rope cording
          running the entire length like pinstriping. Sorry, I just can't
          remember which book, other than the fact that it was a book on
          medieval armour with a woodcut on the front cover.
          However, Oakeschott writes in Archaeology of weapons, "The earliest
          record we have of the use of special armour for the tournamentis in
          the accounts for the royal tournament held in the park at Windsor on
          July 9, 1278. All the armour mentioned in these accounts is of
          leather-even the helms- nothing tougher being needed against the
          whalebone swords also mentioned." Dover 0-486-29288-6 Pg 192-193 of
          Dover reprint.
          Also, I think there is a picture of a leather tourney helm in
          Waterer's Leather and the Warrior, although since I'm re-arranging
          everything in my house atm, I can't seem to find it, either.
          Hope this helps a little.
          Red
          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Cootware"
          <tanja_hohenstaufen@h...> wrote:
          > Does anyone have any documentation on the use of leather bracers
          in the
          > middle ages or Renaissance?
        • Robert Hook
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 13, 2004
            I don't know if you'd call them bracers, but Rene d'Anjou's book of
            tournament talks about leather armour, including arm harness.
            ----
            “Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate” - William of Occam.

            mailto: rhook@...
            http://homepage.mac.com/rhook (source PGP signature from here)
            Robert Hook
            Brisbane, Qld, Australia
          • Arthur Kathan
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 13, 2004
              Perhaps a little clarification would help. Are you trying to
              find out if leather bracers were used as armour, by archers or
              as decorative non-martial items? Leather bracers seem to be a
              recurring element in medieval fantasy art and they were all over
              the Lord of the Rings movies for no apparent reason. Splinted
              leather vambraces were used in early 14th C armour, but apart
              from the metal splints do not seem to have been decorated. I've
              never seen anything depicting them as part of civilian clothing.
              --Corin

              > Does anyone have any documentation on the use of leather bracers in
              > the middle ages or Renaissance? I like leather working and making
              > bracers for decoration, but I don't even know if they were actually
              > used, beyond metal ones in armor. I'd appreciate any information on
              > leather bracers anyone can give me, especially if anyone has any
              > medieval art that depicts (or seems to depict) the existence and use
              > of leather bracers. Thanks.
              >
              > Jennifer Cootware (real name)

              > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--

              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/sK9olB/TM

            • Jennifer Cootware
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 13, 2004
                Any documentation on any types of leather bracers would be appreciated. I
                just can't seem to find much of anything on any leather bracers, but then my
                resources are mostly limited to internet searches and the library at the
                moment.

                Jennifer Cootware

                >Message: 2
                > Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:58:05 -0700 (MST)
                > From: muck <muck@...>
                >Subject: Re: Bracers
                >
                >Well, I have documentation on several styles of leather archery bracers,
                >but I don't know if that's what you want.
                >
                >Phillip the Skeptic

              • leatherchain
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 13, 2004
                  Ok, the shelves are finally up and I'm SLIGHTLY better organized.
                  I think I remember which book has the diagrams and documentation
                  for the tourney armour arm harness. I believe it was 'The Armourer and
                  His Craft' by Charles Houlkes. Sorry, I'm still unpacking and can't
                  find half of my info. Hope that helps.
                  Red
                • Adam Smith
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 14, 2004
                    I think that's Charles ffoulkes ;).

                    cheers,
                    Adam

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 14, 2004
                      This does help, thank you. If you do happen to find those books that seem
                      to be evading you, would you please post at least the names of the books so
                      I can try to look them up? It would be most appreciated. Thank you for
                      your help.

                      Jenn

                      > Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:26:01 -0000
                      > From: "leatherchain" <red@...>
                      >Subject: Re: Bracers
                      >
                      >Jennifer,
                      > I can't remember or find the book, but there is a desription and
                      >sketch of a full arm harness used for French tournaments in the 14th
                      >or 15th century made completely out of leather with rope cording
                      >running the entire length like pinstriping. Sorry, I just can't
                      >remember which book, other than the fact that it was a book on
                      >medieval armour with a woodcut on the front cover.
                      > However, Oakeschott writes in Archaeology of weapons, "The earliest
                      >record we have of the use of special armour for the tournamentis in
                      >the accounts for the royal tournament held in the park at Windsor on
                      >July 9, 1278. All the armour mentioned in these accounts is of
                      >leather-even the helms- nothing tougher being needed against the
                      >whalebone swords also mentioned." Dover 0-486-29288-6 Pg 192-193 of
                      >Dover reprint.
                      >Also, I think there is a picture of a leather tourney helm in
                      >Waterer's Leather and the Warrior, although since I'm re-arranging
                      >everything in my house atm, I can't seem to find it, either.
                      > Hope this helps a little.
                      >Red

                    • Jennifer Cootware
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 14, 2004
                        Hmm. I'll have to see if my library has it and take a look. Thank you.

                        Jenn

                        > Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:05:19 +1000
                        > From: Robert Hook <rhook@...>
                        >Subject: Re: Bracers
                        >
                        >I don't know if you'd call them bracers, but Rene d'Anjou's book of
                        >tournament talks about leather armour, including arm harness.
                        >----
                        >�Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate� - William of Occam.
                        >
                        >mailto: rhook@...
                        >http://homepage.mac.com/rhook (source PGP signature from here)
                        >Robert Hook
                        >Brisbane, Qld, Australia

                      • Helen Leaf
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 14, 2004
                          If you're looking for archers' bracers, then you could check out the one
                          found on the Mary Rose - not sure of an exact reference for it, but there
                          are numerous 'Mary Rose bracers' on archery supplies websites.

                          There's also a much simpler bracer that was found in York, which is made
                          from re-used shoe parts. It's in the wonderful recent book from York
                          Archaeological Trust
                          AY17/16: Leather and Leatherworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York

                          Helen