Fall Class was Re: Alum Tawing info

  • Lady Cynna
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2004

      > Thomas - the class I'm teaching is in the Kingdom of Caid's Fall
      > Pentathalon (S. California). It's at the end of September, and my
      > husband and I will be teaching 3 leather classes - Documenting
      > Sources, Care and feeding of Leather, and then an all day mug
      class,
      > where people can see period examples of jacks and bottles (thanks
      > the photocopy of Baker's book), and then can make a modern
      > representation using modern tools and sealants. Go to:
      > http://www.sca-caid.org/collegium/ for more information.

      The classes are at Collegium, not Pentathalon, which is the Major
      Arts/Sciences competition next spring - which I obviously have on the
      brain.

      Cynna
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 24, 2004
        At 07:57 PM 8/24/04, Cynna wrote:
        >Thanks for the info, everyone.
        >
        >Well, after a weekend at 2 different university libraries, I now have
        >lots of information about leather and the leathercraft industry
        >(mainly in medieval England).
        >
        >I also have a photocopy of the leather portion of the Plictho (15-16
        >century Italian dyeing manual). Now, according to a nature dyeing
        >expert I know, Rosetti is not necessarily the best reference, because
        >he just recorded various recipes, and not all of them are accurate.
        >
        >Since I currently find myself with 3 salted deerskins, trying out
        >these recipes to make alum tawed/buff leather is a possibility. I
        >have a modern book that gives a recipe for alum tawing, which I was
        >going to reference for comparison. Most of the recipes in the Plictho
        >seem fairly straightforward.
        >
        >Has anyone tried any of these recipes? I could also try doing pit
        >tanning, but being in a townhouse in Los Angeles sort of limits what
        >one can do, and what type of projects are feasible.

        I have not had the time or nerve to mess with the Plitcho leather recipes
        yet. I have been told, reliably, by hard core dye researchers, that some
        of the dye recipes from these manuals have items missing, or useless items
        added. I've seen this in some of the metal work treatises as well. Some
        of it can be attributed to accumulated translation error, and others may
        have been secretive guild "wise guys".