Book tip

  • Anna Troy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
      Books about leather in the Middle Ages are few and far
      between so I was happy when I founf "Leather and fur,
      Aspects of early Medeival Trade and Technology" edited
      by Esther Cameron, 1998, ISBN 1873132514.

      It's a collection om smaller essays about the leather,
      fur bone and fur trade and techniques, mostly pre 11th
      century. There is a little for everyone in it. Leather
      Working processes, Anglo-Saxon skin garments,Pre-
      conquest bookbindings, Carolingian shoe and leather
      finds in France etc.

      It's not thick, but it's well worth a look.

      Yours truly,

      Anna T.

      =====
      "So many books, so little time"
    • Helen Leaf
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2004
        Hi,

        there's also a chapter on leather in
        'English Medieval Industries. Craftsmen, techniques, products'
        edited by John Blair and Nigel Ramsey,
        1991 (pb 2001), Hambledon and London
        ISBN 1 85285 326 3

        The chapter on leather is on pp.295 - 318 and is by John Cherry.. the whole
        book is a really good read though.

        Helen