brewers pitch and how to use it

  • Douglas Pexa
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 21, 2004
      hi,
      i am trying to make some black jacks, i want to use
      brewers pitch (pine resin) to seal and as i went back
      into the messages i found a lot of info regarding
      using it but no where can find any information on how
      to use it or prepare it for use. also in my research
      there is referance to a blend of pitch and bees wax,
      but non of it says how many units of each to put into
      the mix. can anyone help me with these issues?

      thanks in advance
      pexa

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 21, 2004
        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pexa
        <pexakunstenaar@y...> wrote:
        > i am trying to make some black jacks, i want to use
        > brewers pitch (pine resin)

        Small pedantic note. Pitch is not resin. Both should be ok for what
        you are wanting to do, but they aren't the same thing. Both start
        with pine sap, and both involve rendering it and thickening it by
        boiling out the stuff you don't want. Pitch however starts by
        carmelizing the sap into tar (this is done in the same process you
        would use if you were making charcoal). You may want to find a place
        to buy it if you are just set on using the pine pitch, as opposed to
        the petroleum based stuff (which was made from the same sorts of sap,
        but just used lots of dirt, rock and time to pressure cook it into
        coal and oil, rather than charcoal and tar).

        Resin - is generally green or brown and smells like pine. Pitch - is
        black and smells like burnt wood.

        Marc
      • Alasdair Muckart
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 21, 2004
          On Tuesday 22 June 2004 01:34, Douglas Pexa wrote:

          > i am trying to make some black jacks, i want to use
          > brewers pitch (pine resin) to seal and as i went back
          > into the messages i found a lot of info regarding
          > using it but no where can find any information on how
          > to use it or prepare it for use. also in my research
          > there is referance to a blend of pitch and bees wax,
          > but non of it says how many units of each to put into
          > the mix. can anyone help me with these issues?

          I grabbed a jacking wax (for jack boots) recipie from Marc's site and used
          that for my quantities of beeswax/rosin. I didn't find that spirit turps made
          much difference except to stink the place up.

          I heat it over an electric hot plate in a saucepan until it's starting to
          smoke, and apply it with a paintbrush and a heat gun.
          --
          Al.
          Send lawyers, guns, and money. Dad get me out of this
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 22, 2004
            Thanks for the clarification, many sites i have looked
            at have used these terms interchagably, and that can
            make things quite confussing.

            i am still looking for it localy but i think i will
            have to turn to the internet to buy it.

            thanks
            pexa

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 22, 2004
              <pexakunstenaar@y...> wrote:
              > Thanks for the clarification, many sites i have looked
              > at have used these terms interchagably, and that can
              > make things quite confussing.

              I know. And the general vernacular is kind of sloppy about it.

              But if you wind up reading the texts on the matter, they tend to use
              these definition.

              > i am still looking for it localy but i think i will
              > have to turn to the internet to buy it.

              I will say, if you can't find it - go ahead and try getting the green
              J. Townsend "brewers pitch". It's the wrong color, and smells wrong,
              but will otherwise react a lot like pitch (although it is a bit softer
              also).

              You will also see the world "rosin" used. This is a variation of
              resin, and depending on what you are reading will tell you what
              version you can expect. In the technical literature "rosin" is
              considered an illiterate usage, but if you read the historical texts,
              you'll find rosin more frequently used (darn it). So I suppose we
              could say that technically pine rosin is a kind of resin.

              Marc
            • Neil Carr
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 22, 2004
                Marc Carlson wrote:

                > You will also see the world "rosin" used. This is a variation of
                > resin, and depending on what you are reading will tell you what
                > version you can expect. In the technical literature "rosin" is
                > considered an illiterate usage, but if you read the historical texts,
                > you'll find rosin more frequently used (darn it). So I suppose we
                > could say that technically pine rosin is a kind of resin.

                BTW, I've been meaning to ask - the "rosin" that gets used on vioin bows
                and hurdy-gurdy wheels, is that pine resin?
                Neil

                --
                Neil Carr

                (WebFoundry cc : CK99/27408/23)
              • Neil Carr
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 22, 2004
                  Douglas Pexa wrote:

                  > i am still looking for it localy but i think i will
                  > have to turn to the internet to buy it.
                  >

                  > thanks
                  > pexa

                  With that yahoo address, are you by any chance in South Africa?
                  Neil

                  --
                  Neil Carr

                  (WebFoundry cc : CK99/27408/23)
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 22, 2004
                    --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Neil Carr <neil@u...> wrote:
                    > BTW, I've been meaning to ask - the "rosin" that gets used on vioin
                    > bows and hurdy-gurdy wheels, is that pine resin?

                    The violin rosin I buy is :)

                    Marc
                  • Douglas Pexa
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 22, 2004
                      no i am not South African, i am fasinated by
                      Nederlands (dutch) and that is where kunstenaar comes
                      form, not africaans.

                      I am from Minneapolis, and was turned on to this site
                      by Sir David Vavaric (he was researching shoes for his
                      shoe artical a while back).

                      cheers
                      pexa

                      http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
                    • jon@armlann.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 22, 2004
                        I have some pitch from Le Prevo (UK) and I wanted to know if anyone here
                        has any experience with it. Does any one have any details on its composition?
                        Thanks.

                        Jon