I am new here...

  • james forman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 14, 2004
      So maybe i can get a conversation going. I think i have been to
      every sight on the web, printed over 300 pages of leather and fur
      armor making, plus going to the library to do research and i still
      feel like i don't know enough. I have been to tons of different
      sites that have leather armor just to get some ideas on making my
      own. I even have leather working tools and a shop. Leather hides are
      pretty expensive so i have yet to get any. I even like to tinker
      with metal armor. I think by combining leather and metal, you can
      have an awesome looking suit of armor, plus it would be reinforced
      by steel to provide great protection. Just my thoughts and hopefully
      soon my reality. Talk to you later. Bye.

      Wulfgar
    • Gytha Stonegrinder
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 15, 2004
        I don't know if you've researched buying leather online, but a leatherworker I know in CA recommended HideHouse.com very highly. It's wholesale only, so you'll need a resale number for your state, but if you're serious that's something you'll probably want to do anyway. I've found some other websites, but haven't tried them yet. I'm still working on the leather I picked up last fall at Ren Faires in CA (I'm not very prolific OR serious... mostly for fun right now!) Kathy/Gytha

        james forman <wulfgar_james@...> wrote:
        So maybe i can get a conversation going. I think i have been to
        every sight on the web, printed over 300 pages of leather and fur
        armor making, plus going to the library to do research and i still
        feel like i don't know enough. I have been to tons of different
        sites that have leather armor just to get some ideas on making my
        own. I even have leather working tools and a shop. Leather hides are
        pretty expensive so i have yet to get any. I even like to tinker
        with metal armor. I think by combining leather and metal, you can
        have an awesome looking suit of armor, plus it would be reinforced
        by steel to provide great protection. Just my thoughts and hopefully
        soon my reality. Talk to you later. Bye.

        Wulfgar

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Laird Harry The Ross
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 15, 2004
          Actually, the HideHouse web page says: "Please note this is a
          wholesale website only! Those who do not provide a valid
          reseller's permit and/or valid state business license will be
          charged a 15% surcharge." Kind of confusing. But it seems to be like
          other dealers offering a discount to wholesalers.

          I am a newbie too. I'm not at the point of buying a whole hide. In
          fact, I wouldn't have room for one since I just live in a rented
          room.

          Harry

          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Gytha Stonegrinder
          <gythaofnorthumbria@y...> wrote:
          > I don't know if you've researched buying leather online, but a
          leatherworker I know in CA recommended HideHouse.com very highly.
          It's wholesale only, so you'll need a resale number for your state,
          but if you're serious that's something you'll probably want to do
          anyway. I've found some other websites, but haven't tried them
          yet. I'm still working on the leather I picked up last fall at Ren
          Faires in CA (I'm not very prolific OR serious... mostly for fun
          right now!) Kathy/Gytha

          > james forman <wulfgar_james@y...> wrote:
          > So maybe i can get a conversation going. I think i have been to
          > every sight on the web, printed over 300 pages of leather and fur
          > armor making, plus going to the library to do research and i still
          > feel like i don't know enough. I have been to tons of different
          > sites that have leather armor just to get some ideas on making my
          > own. I even have leather working tools and a shop. Leather hides
          are
          > pretty expensive so i have yet to get any. I even like to tinker
          > with metal armor. I think by combining leather and metal, you can
          > have an awesome looking suit of armor, plus it would be reinforced
          > by steel to provide great protection. Just my thoughts and
          hopefully
          > soon my reality. Talk to you later. Bye.
          >

          > Wulfgar
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Service.

        • Gytha Stonegrinder
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 15, 2004
            I've bookmarked other leather sites, but as I haven't ordered from them or heard about them from others who have ordered from them I can't really recommend them. Like I said, a serious leatherworker recommended the HideHouse to me. She does leatherwork fulltime and sells at Ren Faires and SCA events as her sole income. Serious. Anyway, my take on the site is that you don't have to get full hides... but I could be wrong. It is a wholesale site... but it does sound like they will sell retail (15% surcharge). Just info.... Kathy/Gytha

            Laird Harry The Ross <harrymossman@...> wrote:Actually, the HideHouse web page says: "Please note this is a
            wholesale website only! Those who do not provide a valid
            reseller's permit and/or valid state business license will be
            charged a 15% surcharge." Kind of confusing. But it seems to be like
            other dealers offering a discount to wholesalers.

            I am a newbie too. I'm not at the point of buying a whole hide. In
            fact, I wouldn't have room for one since I just live in a rented
            room.

            Harry

            --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Gytha Stonegrinder
            <gythaofnorthumbria@y...> wrote:
            > I don't know if you've researched buying leather online, but a
            leatherworker I know in CA recommended HideHouse.com very highly.
            It's wholesale only, so you'll need a resale number for your state,
            but if you're serious that's something you'll probably want to do
            anyway. I've found some other websites, but haven't tried them
            yet. I'm still working on the leather I picked up last fall at Ren
            Faires in CA (I'm not very prolific OR serious... mostly for fun
            right now!) Kathy/Gytha

            > james forman <wulfgar_james@y...> wrote:
            > So maybe i can get a conversation going. I think i have been to
            > every sight on the web, printed over 300 pages of leather and fur
            > armor making, plus going to the library to do research and i still
            > feel like i don't know enough. I have been to tons of different
            > sites that have leather armor just to get some ideas on making my
            > own. I even have leather working tools and a shop. Leather hides
            are
            > pretty expensive so i have yet to get any. I even like to tinker
            > with metal armor. I think by combining leather and metal, you can
            > have an awesome looking suit of armor, plus it would be reinforced
            > by steel to provide great protection. Just my thoughts and
            hopefully
            > soon my reality. Talk to you later. Bye.
            >

            > Wulfgar
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Service.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Jonathan Getty
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 15, 2004
              Gytha Stonegrinder wrote:

              >I've bookmarked other leather sites, but as I haven't ordered from them or heard about them from others who have ordered from them I can't really recommend them. Like I said, a serious leatherworker recommended the HideHouse to me. She does leatherwork fulltime and sells at Ren Faires and SCA events as her sole income. Serious. Anyway, my take on the site is that you don't have to get full hides... but I could be wrong. It is a wholesale site... but it does sound like they will sell retail (15% surcharge). Just info.... Kathy/Gytha

              Really, the best way to choose a hide is to go to the nearest leather
              store and dig through leather for a few hours. No matter where I've
              been, there's a wide variation of hide size, quality, color, grain, etc,
              in the each lot. If you have some idea of your application (small
              projects, in this case), you can choose the best hide yourself (in your
              case, you might want an undersize side, which frequently counts as
              "lower quality" and sells for less per square foot), and pick ones where
              the defects won't bother you much.

              You might try calling Sav-Mor Leather in LA (no website, but their phone
              number turns up on Google)... they have good prices on veg-tanned
              leather ($3.25/sq.ft for a nice 5-6oz.), and no surcharge for
              non-businesses.

              Jon
            • Gytha Stonegrinder
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
                I agree... like I said, I'm still using the leather I bought at Ren faires last summer... I bought ahead knowing I wouldn't be able to go this year. I also know that I would probably pay less mail-ordering, so it's a trade-off like everything else. Kathy/Gytha

                Jonathan Getty <beans@...> wrote:Gytha Stonegrinder wrote:

                >I've bookmarked other leather sites, but as I haven't ordered from them or heard about them from others who have ordered from them I can't really recommend them. Like I said, a serious leatherworker recommended the HideHouse to me. She does leatherwork fulltime and sells at Ren Faires and SCA events as her sole income. Serious. Anyway, my take on the site is that you don't have to get full hides... but I could be wrong. It is a wholesale site... but it does sound like they will sell retail (15% surcharge). Just info.... Kathy/Gytha

                Really, the best way to choose a hide is to go to the nearest leather
                store and dig through leather for a few hours. No matter where I've
                been, there's a wide variation of hide size, quality, color, grain, etc,
                in the each lot. If you have some idea of your application (small
                projects, in this case), you can choose the best hide yourself (in your
                case, you might want an undersize side, which frequently counts as
                "lower quality" and sells for less per square foot), and pick ones where
                the defects won't bother you much.

                You might try calling Sav-Mor Leather in LA (no website, but their phone
                number turns up on Google)... they have good prices on veg-tanned
                leather ($3.25/sq.ft for a nice 5-6oz.), and no surcharge for
                non-businesses.

                Jon

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • James F
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
                  These have all been great ideas. There is only one
                  problem....i am unemployed right now. With no cash
                  comes no leather. I am trying(unfortunately)to get
                  back into construction. I hate the 50 to 60 hours a
                  week, but i love the pay checks from it. I would
                  usually pull in around 600-800$ a week. If i could
                  save up enough to buy a few whole hides, i could
                  possibly make suits of armor. I know where i live
                  there is no one around who makes armor. The SCA and
                  Amtgard people have hounded my cousin and i to make
                  them some armor. I have made smoe pauldrons out of
                  some tin roofing and a leather welding sleeve. It
                  didn't turn out to bad looking...lol. I guess i will
                  look at the hide house to just check there prices. I
                  have a friend who has his own buisness so maybe i can
                  convince him to use his license number to order some
                  hides for me. Laters.

                  James

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • Shane Stainton
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
                    > These have all been great ideas. There is only one
                    > problem....i am unemployed right now. With no cash
                    > comes no leather.

                    pssst throw me a email, Ive got some rather spiffy 5-6 oz veg I can
                    part with for 2 a square @ 10-12 sq ft each if you just need a couple
                    hides
                    *how I love living near TWO tannery towns teehee* and Ill throw in
                    shipping.
                    btw for 9 oz and thicker goto churchill up in maine at brettuns
                    village *roots around for churchills url*
                    ahh here it is
                    www.brettunsvillage.com

                    tell him Shane sent ya ;)

                    he also includes shipping, which is no small matter when buying
                    leather. and hes got some ridiculously nice heavy vegtan.

                    also if you need garment check him first and if he cant help ask me. I
                    deal with three dif tannery owners up here and with the exception to
                    the heavy vegtan *which the heathen tend to run thru splitters sigh* I
                    can lay my hands on just about whatever ya need, prices range from .75
                    to $2. in just about any amount. *yes that includes drop shipping a
                    cargo container heh*

                    YIS
                    Shane Stainton
                    www.granddesignworkshop.com
                  • Gytha Stonegrinder

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 17, 2004
                        I have had much sucsess with Hidecrafter Leathercraft. I have allways
                        found them knowledgable, courteous, overall enjoyable to do business
                        with. They are a retail store that does some wholesale. They also
                        have possibly the best collection of "how to" videos and books
                        around. I believe George Husrt (the owner) is a recipient of the Al
                        Stohlman award.

                        Hidecrafter Leathercraft
                        7936 Camp Bowie west (Hwy 80)
                        Fort Worth, Texas 76116
                        (817)878-5797
                        www.hidecrafter.com
                      • Frojel Gotlandica
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 1, 2004
                          Well you could always look at the Visby armour, good combination of both.

                          Sandy

                          So maybe i can get a conversation going. I think i have been to
                          every sight on the web, printed over 300 pages of leather and fur
                          armor making, plus going to the library to do research and i still
                          feel like i don't know enough. I have been to tons of different
                          sites that have leather armor just to get some ideas on making my
                          own. I even have leather working tools and a shop. Leather hides are
                          pretty expensive so i have yet to get any. I even like to tinker
                          with metal armor. I think by combining leather and metal, you can
                          have an awesome looking suit of armor, plus it would be reinforced
                          by steel to provide great protection. Just my thoughts and hopefully
                          soon my reality. Talk to you later. Bye.

                          Wulfgar

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                          To visit your group on the web, go to:

                          Fr�jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment Society.
                          http://www.frojel.com/
                          frojel@...