[medieval-leather] Britain's almost civilized

  • Melanie Wilson
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 25, 1999
      >Honest, Britain's almost civilized, they take credit
      cards... :)

      WE are civilized it is the colonies that are made up of raw stuff don't you
      know :)

      Mel

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/medieval-leather
    • I. Marc Carlson
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 25, 1999
        <Melanie Wilson <MelanieWilson@...>>
        >WE are civilized it is the colonies that are made up of raw stuff don't
        >you know :)

        Piffle. YOU lot didn't invent the credit card or the ATM, the only true
        signs of civilization in the 90s...

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/medieval-leather
      • Ajohnson
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 25, 1999
          Hmmmm if they are not civilized then why do we in the SCA emulate the
          Brittish culture? It sounds like if you want to be so "Civilized" you would
          not want to take part in any group that is "uncivilized". I dont think
          inventions are any kind of standard for being civilized or not.

          ---Artimis

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 25, 1999
            <Ajohnson <ajohnson@...>>
            >Hmmmm if they are not civilized then why do we in the SCA emulate the
            >Brittish culture? It sounds like if you want to be so "Civilized" you would
            >not want to take part in any group that is "uncivilized". I dont think
            >inventions are any kind of standard for being civilized or not.

            I think you are drawing a conclusion about my motivations for wanting
            to "take part" in something based on some fallacious assumptions. These
            are:
            1. That Melanie and I are doing anything other than teasing (this is
            predicated on the assumption that both she and I have a sense of
            humor, and that no one that was serious would base a concept
            of civilization on something as ludicrous as "credit cards" or
            ATMs).
            2. That the SCA emulates British culture. My understanding is that
            the SCA emulates, if anything, the "Middle Ages", which comprises
            far more than just British Culture.
            3. That people based their involvement in any group on the concept
            of "civilized". This is clearly not true (vis. the number of
            "Barbarians" out there playing their own games).
            4. That this newsgroup is based on the SCA, and therefore, people's
            statements here have anything to do with the SCA.

            And finally, I won't tell you that your opinion is wrong and that you
            shouldn't believe that inventions are no basis for "civilization". I think
            what pulls people out of barbarism, and raises the level of their life, is
            by definition, civilizing -- a term ultimately derived from the Latin for
            "people who are cool enough to have invented Cities" (now whether "Civilization"
            is all it's cracked up to be is another question all together). Clearly
            on that we disagree.

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/medieval-leather
          • rmhowe
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 26, 1999
              Ian Carlisle wrote:

              > Hey, don't go dissin' good old Blighty or we'll come and set fire to
              > the Whitehouse again (remember 1812?).

              We've got Old Bill, so things are pretty hot there most of the time
              anyway.
              Be nice or we'll sic Jessie Helms on you, all bug-eyed and
              snaggletoothed.
              (Senate Foreign Relations Committee Head, Republican from North
              Carolina).
              He'll embargo your tourist trade and we'll enweevil your grain boats.
              Not to mention you are probably eating some of OUR COWS, and
              using some of OUR LEATHER. (Have to keep this on topic.)

              Remember when we were oversexed, overpaid, and over there and we
              almost sunk your island with our weight? We're a good bit bigger now. :)
              WE could be cousins, Mate.

              > Also (smug), we had a medieval period which you guys envy like hell ;-)

              Yeah? We were there too! You're sifting through _our_ garbage as well.
              (American landfills are 60 feet deep in places. You'd be in hog heaven.)

              And we really, really loved Braveheart and Rob Roy! :) Go Mel! Go Mel!

              > Ha!

              > Ian Carlisle
              > Artefact Research
              > York Archaeological Trust
              > 01904 663034

              Humor, strictly humor.

              Magnus, living in the new lands of the Scots-Irish. Mid-Atlantic USA
              The family are direct descendants of Washington's father and Lee.
              You could say rebellion was the family business. First one landed in
              jail here in 1680. And we're descended from Thomas Moore's line too.

              eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/medieval-leather
            • Ian Carlisle
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 29, 1999
                > And we really, really loved Braveheart and Rob Roy! :) Go Mel! Go Mel!

                Braveheart *has* to be the worst "historical" movie in many a long
                year. I mean, William Wallace laying siege to and capturing York.
                Oh, yes, didn't he also father Edward III? ROFLOL

                Laugh? I nearly handed me fags round :-)

                Seriously, it was a shame, because they could have made a decent
                movie about Wallace with proper battles instead of those stupid
                'riots'. They made the Scots army look like football hooligans. And
                as for the woad on the faces - I mean, perlease. In the 13th/14th centuries?
                I think not.

                Ian

                Ian Carlisle
                Artefact Research
                York Archaeological Trust
                01904 663034

                eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/medieval-leather
              • aekathan@execpc.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 29, 1999
                  At 09:41 AM 3/29/99 +0000, Ian Carlisle wrote:

                  >Laugh? I nearly handed me fags round :-)

                  Right, what does this mean?
                  --Corin

                  eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/medieval-leather
                • Gregory Stapleton
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 29, 1999
                    <sigh> Sadly, you are absolutely correct.....Although, the drawing and
                    quartering at the end did tend to make up for it. ;}

                    Gregory / Gawain

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 29, 1999
                      fags == cigarettes in U.K. slang.

                      Gregory / Gawain

                    • jamesahowell@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 29, 1999
                        Actually, I have to thank "Braveheart". Wait!!!! Put those
                        stones down!!!! Hear me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                        After "Braveheart" came out, the local Richmond Highland Games
                        and Celtic Festival asked the SCA to do a demo for them. They sandwiched
                        us under a nylon tent with 2 other historical interest groups and
                        everyone was running around asking about kilts. Having participated in
                        Living History competitions for several years at that point, I observed
                        that we could set up a period encampment with our own tents and do more
                        interpretation. The event organizer liked the idea and we ended up
                        conning them into offering a living history section where we could inform
                        people that the Scots during that era did NOT wear kilts, woad, or carry
                        claymores-and it was a rousing success, resulting in all of us being
                        invited back for the next year! (hint-it's Oct. 23-24 this year. Y'all
                        come!) I ran a camp based on the Isle of Man circa 950 A.D. and there
                        was a Robert the Bruce camp, a tudor era camp based in Edinburgh, a '45
                        Rebellion camp, and a Scots-British regiment from the Revolutionary War
                        era.
                        All because of a hideously inaccurate movie!

                        regards, James
                        P.S. ROFLOL?

                        <sigh> Sadly, you are absolutely correct.....Although, the drawing and
                        >quartering at the end did tend to make up for it. ;}
                        >
                        >Gregory / Gawain

                        >> Braveheart *has* to be the worst "historical" movie in many a long
                        >> year. I mean, William Wallace laying siege to and capturing York.
                        >> Oh, yes, didn't he also father Edward III? ROFLOL

                        or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 30, 1999
                          On 29 Mar 99 at 8:18, aekathan@... wrote:

                          > At 09:41 AM 3/29/99 +0000, Ian Carlisle wrote:
                          >
                          > >Laugh? I nearly handed me fags round :-)
                          >
                          > Right, what does this mean?
                          > --Corin

                          Fags in the British sense of 'cigarettes', not what your grubby mind
                          was obviously thinking ;-)

                          As in "I was so pleased I almost handed my cigs round."
                          It's a bit hard to explain properly.

                          Ian

                          Ian Carlisle
                          Artefact Research
                          York Archaeological Trust
                          01904 663034

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 30, 1999
                            ROFLOL == Rolling On the Floor Laughing Out Loud

                            Gawain

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 31, 1999
                              At 09:08 AM 3/30/99 +0000, you wrote:
                              >On 29 Mar 99 at 8:18, aekathan@... wrote:
                              >
                              >> At 09:41 AM 3/29/99 +0000, Ian Carlisle wrote:
                              >>
                              >> >Laugh? I nearly handed me fags round :-)
                              >>
                              >> Right, what does this mean?
                              >> --Corin
                              >>
                              >Fags in the British sense of 'cigarettes', not what your grubby mind
                              >was obviously thinking ;-)
                              >
                              >As in "I was so pleased I almost handed my cigs round."
                              >It's a bit hard to explain properly.
                              >
                              >Ian
                              Give me a little credit, :) I understood the meaning as cigarettes (as
                              opposed to,
                              say underclassman. Is that archaic or still in use?) I just couldn't
                              understand what handing them around implied.
                              --Corin

                              eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/medieval-leather