Re: Starting out (was Re: [medieval-leather] LOTR)

  • Anna Troy
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 6, 2003
      Okay, places to buy buckles and other accessories
      other than Kings Keep. Mostly pewter stuff but also
      brass and brons.

      http://www.billyandcharlie.com
      http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/jewel.html
      http://www.londonaccessories.com/
      http://www.historicenterprises.com/
      http://www.birkatraders.com/
      http://www.jelldragon.com/ (under "Belts")
      http://www.fetteredcockpewters.com/index.html
      http://www.quietpress.com/

      Have fun.

      Anna T

      > I was really impressed by a lot of the buckles
      > Windrose Armory started
      > carrying this fall. Unfortunately, many aren't up on
      > their website
      > (http://www.kingskeep.com/) yet... he was also to
      > give me 20-30% off
      > orders of a few dozen, which knocked the price for
      > bronze 5/8" buckles
      > under $3 apiece. he sells silver for about twice the
      > price of bronze.
      >
      > Jon

      =====
      "So many books, so little time."

      "Anna's Crafts Links Page" has MOVED AGAIN to:
      http://www21.brinkster.com/annascrafts

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
    • Master Gwilim de Glamorgan
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 6, 2003
        http://www.quietpress.com/

        He supplies reproduction buckles and fittings are pretty reasonable prices
        (and is a nice guy to boot)

        Gwilim
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 6, 2003
          At 04:12 PM 11/5/2003 -0800, Charles wrote:
          >I have not been making shoes.. but I most certainly get more requests for
          >them at events. Considering this winter to begin making them. Do we have
          >anyone here making shoes that wants to merchant them with the Pacific
          >Northwest SCA events. Kingdom of AnTir?
          >
          >I agree totally about the O ring belt.. I often wonder who got the
          >ridiculous idea that it was ever period? Potential customers are shocked
          >when I refuse to make em an O Ring belt. Though Period correct buckles
          >seem to be rather expensive. Anyone know of a wholesale dealer for
          >accurate buckles?

          Actually, using those O rings, one has only to bend a heavy wire tongue
          around it, and you have created a perfectly historically accurate
          buckle. I think that poor copies of period art where the round belt ring
          was visible, but the tongue wasn't easily discernable may have contributed
          to the problem. I have had a few fighters tell me that they have had belt
          tongues break or bend in annoying ways when worn for heavy fighting.

          Simple period buckles shouldn't cost a fortune.

        • rlbowensr
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 14, 2003
            Also www.medievalwares.com

            Dru