Re: [medieval-leather] Re: Goat leather

  • Jonathan T Getty
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2003
      Hey, if folks want to wait a week on the tawed leather, I'll go have a
      look next week and report back. I live half an hour down the road from
      Siegel and need to pick up buckles anyway.

      Jon

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 9, 2003
        At 04:28 PM 10/9/03 +0000, Jeff wrote:

        I'd certainly prefer tawed, as that's more period, but would settle
        for a good veg-taned that's properly stuffed. I've been pointed to
        here:

        http://www.siegelofca.com/view_cat_parent_product.asp?id=4&curpage=5

        But I'm not too sure about the finish and colors. I'm thinking of
        calling for samples. Alternately, I'm wondering how much bother &
        expense would be involved for a couple dozen to go to an english
        saddle leather facility for a custom job. That would, in my mind, be
        the perfect treatment. What do you think, & how much do you need
        Marc?

        I don't know what Marc thinks, but if the undyed alum cow and waterbuffalo is as advertised, the prices are actually not bad. I wouldn't mind handling a sample myself.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2003
          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Ron Charlotte <ronch2@b...>
          wrote:
          > At 04:28 PM 10/9/03 +0000, Jeff wrote:
          > >expense would be involved for a couple dozen to go to an english
          > >saddle leather facility for a custom job. That would, in my mind, be
          > >the perfect treatment. What do you think, & how much do you need
          > >Marc?

          At this point, I just need enough to try working with it. A few
          square inches at a minimum.

          > I don't know what Marc thinks, but if the undyed alum cow and
          > waterbuffalo is as advertised, the prices are actually not bad. I
          > wouldn't mind handling a sample myself.

          I'll be toddling on over to Mid-Continent in the next week or so and
          will see if they carry any tawed goat (they didn't the last time I
          asked, but things do change).

          Right now, I will say that I'm trying to get samples of what MAY be
          properly pit tanned leather from the US (Muir and McDonald Co.
          Tanners. Dallas, Oregon). If it turns out to have even close to the
          characteristics of the English stuff, I'll let you all know.

          Marc
        • Jeff Johnson
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 22, 2003
            Well, I've located sources of the alum-tawed leather, but it's damned
            spendy - over $20/square foot. Want me to shoot ya a couple of scraps
            when my work develops some, Marc?

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 22, 2003
              --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Johnson" <jljonsn@c...>
              wrote:
              > Well, I've located sources of the alum-tawed leather, but it's
              > damned spendy - over $20/square foot. Want me to shoot ya a couple
              > of scraps when my work develops some, Marc?

              If you get any offcuts, I'll be happy to take those off your hands :)
              Just let me know what you will need.