Re: [medieval-leather] Re: Off topic announcement

    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 2, 2003
      At 07:50 AM 9/2/03 -0700, Susan Fox-Davis wrote:
      <deletia>

      I've been considering making a leather cap-of-maintenance, since real
      white feathers with red spots are so dratted fragile... I'm thinking a
      "Robin Hood" type hat with the flesh side =outside= and dyed red, the
      turn-up part carved as "plumetty", painted white and embellished with
      red drops or maybe sewn-on garnet beads.  What do you think, sirs?

      You know, that would work.  I will warn you that I may lift your idea.  I tend to be rough on my headgear, and something like that might survive the sub-tropical sweat of a man with a taste for spicy food....

      (Thanks for the congratulations and encouragement from you and everyone else...)

      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 3, 2003
        At 03:15 PM 9/3/2003 +0100, Ken wrote:
        Hi Marc,

        I appreciate a shared ancestry thing, but, I can't get my head around the idea of why anyone would want to do any kind of "Historic" event thousands of miles from the original people and places. Simple as that ! The idea seems somewhat like desperately seeking a past, instead of embracing the actual history and culture that has taken place in that area.

        I know it is probably a somewhat blinkered view, but, I am quintessentially English after all ! (Yeah, right ! ; o ) ).

        A partial answer to that comes from an Englishman who has dwelt here in the US (an instructor at the Veterinary college where my wife works) for most of a decade.

        "Americans think 200 years is a long time; we British think 200 miles is a long distance".

        Otherwise, though, most of us, from the most authentically minded to the most minimalist participant simply believe that the knowledge, skills, and history of the past are worth preserving and understanding.