Why we're here (was Re: [medieval-leather] Off topic announcement)

    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 2, 2003
      At 11:46 AM 9/2/03 +0100, Ken wrote:
      Hi Roy,

      I was trying to be diplomatic here. Real re-enactors would of course join Regia Anglorum ! ;o )

      Yes I am aware that there are members of the SCA in Australia. However as Ron Charlotte said yesterday, most of the list is US based. (Not a clue about the SCA area of catchment).

      I live in England, with a family line going back to pre-Norman times - Parochial ?

      It seems strange to me that an e-mailing group on Medieval Leather is based outside of the area that the subject covers. Yes, another can of worms is opened, but, just putting my point across, before I'm shot down for something I've not said.
      Seriously, the list came about because the available up to date information on the topic can be fairly tough to lay hands on (and expensive for a hobbiest) if one is not associated with an academic institution.  I have better than average inter-library loan access (my wife runs a small college library), but there is some information that I only become aware of because of this group.

      Many of your finds in the UK or Europe might pop up in journals or magazines that seldom see distribution here in the States.

      I got a taste for this stuff from a summer spent as an exchange student in Newark on Trent; and being able to pick the brain of someone who can scoot up to York, if they wished, and see what is currently on public exhibit will tide me over until I can afford a vacation on the other side of the pond.

      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 3, 2003
        At 03:15 PM 9/3/2003 +0100, Ken wrote:
        Hi Marc,

        I appreciate a shared ancestry thing, but, I can't get my head around the idea of why anyone would want to do any kind of "Historic" event thousands of miles from the original people and places. Simple as that ! The idea seems somewhat like desperately seeking a past, instead of embracing the actual history and culture that has taken place in that area.

        I know it is probably a somewhat blinkered view, but, I am quintessentially English after all ! (Yeah, right ! ; o ) ).

        A partial answer to that comes from an Englishman who has dwelt here in the US (an instructor at the Veterinary college where my wife works) for most of a decade.

        "Americans think 200 years is a long time; we British think 200 miles is a long distance".

        Otherwise, though, most of us, from the most authentically minded to the most minimalist participant simply believe that the knowledge, skills, and history of the past are worth preserving and understanding.