RE: [medieval-leather] Scabbards

  • Bill Schongar
    Message 1 of 65 , Aug 8, 2003
      I tend to cheat - wrap the leather around a form (or a plastic wrapped
      blade), clamp it along where the seam will go, and mark the line
      lightly. Then remove the form and stitch, slice off everything more than
      1/8th inch above the stitch line.

      For thicker leather you'll want to dampen the leather first (thus the
      plastic wrap on the blade) to make it bend better. Use the clamps (and
      pliers if needed) to stretch and pull it tight over the form.

      I still haven't gotten around to doing wooden sheaths, but some day..

      -Liam

      Message 65 of 65 , Oct 31, 2004
        Hi James,

        In London there's a place called LAARC, which is the archive store for the
        Museum of London. They have a vast collection, and you can contact them to
        arrange to visit certain artefacts in advance. Maybe you could check what
        scabbards they have?

        http://mol.nethostinguk.com/laarc/index2.html

        It's a short walk away from Old Street tube station (on the Northern Line,
        'Bank' branch) so is fairly easy to get to. If there are any scabbards in
        the Museum of London, they are usually able to be 'visited' too, by prior
        arrangement

        Let us know how you get on!

        Helen