Swordbelt

  • ren_junkie
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1 12:32 AM
      Hey all. I was wondering if anyone knows of where i can get a pattern
      or plan for an Elizabethan rapier hanger. I'm not looking for a
      fantasy version of one, I need the most histroically accurate plans I
      can get my mitts on. All help is appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Christopher
    • Jonathan T Getty
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1 1:58 AM
        I got to examine a few very nice ones at the Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow
        last year. The basic design is a bi or tripartite panel with straps made
        by extending the body downward into the straps; the straps attach either
        to a separate buckle strap, or on a slider (tongueless buckle). I have
        plenty of pictures of these, but you can probably find plenty of period
        portraits. The overall shape of the 9-buckle hanger I just carved is a
        tripartite bell, 7" high (excluding straps and hook) and 7" wide.

        They usually have a hook on the top of the hanger that attaches just
        behind the left hip, to a mount on the belt. Another strap across the
        backside of the hanger crosses the body and attaches to the belt (another
        hook and mount) a little right of center or at the right hip. Also note
        that these weren't necessarily made out of leather... of the three I saw,
        one was all fabric, one was embroidered silk over leather, and the third
        was two layers of leather, pinked to exposed a fabric layer.

        Jon

        On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, ren_junkie wrote:

        > Hey all. I was wondering if anyone knows of where i can get a pattern
        > or plan for an Elizabethan rapier hanger. I'm not looking for a
        > fantasy version of one, I need the most histroically accurate plans I
        > can get my mitts on. All help is appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Christopher

      • Scott Szakonyi
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1 4:33 AM
          Hey Jon,

          I know I am probably just particularly dense, but I can't get a picture of this in my head from your description.  Is there any way I could persuade you to inconvenience yourself by post a picture to the group archives?  Thanks!

          Scott

          Jonathan T Getty <jtg0@...> wrote:

          I got to examine a few very nice ones at the Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow
          last year. The basic design is a bi or tripartite panel with straps made
          by extending the body downward into the straps; the straps attach either
          to a separate buckle strap, or on a slider (tongueless buckle). I have
          plenty of pictures of these, but you can probably find plenty of period
          portraits. The overall shape of the 9-buckle hanger I just carved is a
          tripartite bell, 7" high (excluding straps and hook) and 7" wide.

          They usually have a hook on the top of the hanger that attaches just
          behind the left hip, to a mount on the belt. Another strap across the
          backside of the hanger crosses the body and attaches to the belt (another
          hook and mount) a little right of center or at the right hip. Also note
          that these weren't necessarily made out of leather... of the three I saw,
          one was all fabric, one was embroidered silk over leather, and the third
          was two layers of leather, pinked to exposed a fabric layer.

          Jon

          On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, ren_junkie wrote:

          > Hey all. I was wondering if anyone knows of where i can get a pattern
          > or plan for an Elizabethan rapier hanger. I'm not looking for a
          > fantasy version of one, I need the most histroically accurate plans I
          > can get my mitts on. All help is appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Christopher

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Luke
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1 10:32 AM
            Hey Christopher,

            The best source for Renaissance swordbelt fittings is Richard Lanni a
            jeweler in FL. He's got a number of different styles of buckles cast
            off of originals. He also has a very good schematic of how the
            belt/hanger goes together in his catalog. You can reach him at:
            bucklecastings@...

            He also casts a number of other medieval and Roman styles of buckles.

            Hope this is a help,

            Luke

            > Message: 3
            > Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 07:32:09 -0000
            > From: "ren_junkie" <ren_junkie@...>
            > Subject: Swordbelt
            >
            > Hey all. I was wondering if anyone knows of where i can get a
            > pattern
            > or plan for an Elizabethan rapier hanger. I'm not looking for a
            > fantasy version of one, I need the most histroically accurate
            > plans I
            > can get my mitts on. All help is appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Christopher
          • Jonathan T Getty
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1 3:08 PM
              Have a look in the Photos section of the medieval-leather group
              website. I've posted pictures of the three sword hangers I examined at the
              Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow. I do have a few more pictures if you're
              interested in details and dimensions, but I tried to pick the best photos
              here...

              Also, if you happen to be going to the museum, the curator mentioned that
              they have a number of other hangers in storage in the basement, and could
              have taken them out for me if I'd given them more than two days notice :)

              Jon
            • ren_junkie
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 7 6:58 PM
                Thanks for the help, everyone. My first swordbelt turned out quite
                well. It's a bit rough, but I don't really have the proper tools and
                stuff, but it still looks good, and should give the guy buying it a
                lot of good service.

                Thanks,
                Christopher