Grommets

  • Lerxst of Chaos
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 5 7:30 AM
      anyone know where to get grommets other than the brass color.  Looking for black, green and other colors if available

      Lerxst
      Chaos
      Legion of the Skull -  Sgt. of the Dragon Pride
      Vapor the Green Dragon
      Cabin Boy of the Dark Scorpion
      Booser
      Member of The Claw Threotine Council
      DRNKNGNM# 26
      The Bardwell Bartender
      Master of the Chocolate Cake shot
      Caretaker of Chocolate Covered Cherries
      http://www.pbase.com/lerxst
      "Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
    • chad johnson
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 5 8:27 PM
        ohio travel bag sells black

      • Adam Smith
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 5 9:07 PM
          I was just struck by the thought of an inquiry regarding grommets on a medieval leather list, and had to snicker...

          A SCA leatherworker friend of mine and I were watching "the 13th Warrior" several months ago (one of our favorite movies to play "spot the anachronism!"... I love the nylon buckles on the ALICE harness the Neanderthal warrior wears and the roper gloves with the snaps the Viking chief wears in the caves ;-), and came to the conclusion that we needed to invest in cases of eyelets and grommets, for when society collapsed and we fell into a new dark ages that the things would be worth their weight in gold, if the post-apocalyptic flicks are any indication ;-).

          Never mind me ;-)...
          Adam
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 5 9:38 PM
            ohio travel bag sells black

            Got a web site for them?

            Lerxst
            Chaos
            Legion of the Skull
            Vapor the Green Dragon
            Sgt. of the Dragon Pride
            Cabin Boy of the Dark Scorpion
            Booser
            Member of the Claw
            Trash Tribe
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 5 9:44 PM
              :) at least the grommets are period, I will have to get out the 13th warrior
              agian lol
              .

              >From: "Adam Smith" <spike@...>
              >To: <medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: Re: [medieval-leather] Grommets
              >Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 00:07:49 -0400
              >
              >I was just struck by the thought of an inquiry regarding grommets on a
              >medieval leather list, and had to snicker...
              >
              >A SCA leatherworker friend of mine and I were watching "the 13th Warrior"
              >several months ago (one of our favorite movies to play "spot the
              >anachronism!"... I love the nylon buckles on the ALICE harness the
              >Neanderthal warrior wears and the roper gloves with the snaps the Viking
              >chief wears in the caves ;-), and came to the conclusion that we needed to
              >invest in cases of eyelets and grommets, for when society collapsed and we
              >fell into a new dark ages that the things would be worth their weight in
              >gold, if the post-apocalyptic flicks are any indication ;-).
              >
              >Never mind me ;-)...
              >Adam

            • chad johnson
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 5 11:00 PM
                http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/
                I am not sure if they sell to the public, if you let me know if you cant get
                them, tuesday I am placing and order with them.

                >ohio travel bag sells black
                >
                >Got a web site for them?
                >

                >Lerxst
                >Chaos
                >Legion of the Skull
                >Vapor the Green Dragon
                >Sgt. of the Dragon Pride
                >Cabin Boy of the Dark Scorpion
                >Booser
                >Member of the Claw
                >Trash Tribe
                >The Bardwell Bartender
                >Master of the Chocolate Cake shot
                >Caretaker of Chocolate Covered Cherries
                >http://www.pbase.com/lerxst
                >"Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with
                >ketchup."

              • Lerxst of Chaos
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 6 6:35 AM

                  http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/
                  I am not sure if they sell to the public, if you let me know if you cant get
                  them, tuesday I am placing and order with them.

                  >ohio travel bag sells black
                  >
                  >Got a web site for
                  them?

                  Chad, Do you have a price list for them.  There are severl things on there that I've been looking for.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 6 4:07 PM
                    :) somewhere I have a wholesale list, give me a list of what you want and
                    then email me directly

                    kestrelleather@...

                    >From: "Lerxst of Chaos" <lerxst@...>
                    >To: <medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: Re: [medieval-leather] Grommets
                    >Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 08:35:26 -0500
                    >

                    >http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/
                    >I am not sure if they sell to the public, if you let me know if you cant
                    >get
                    >them, tuesday I am placing and order with them.
                    >
                    > >ohio travel bag sells black
                    > >
                    > >Got a web site for them?
                    >
                    >Chad, Do you have a price list for them. There are severl things on there
                    >that I've been looking for.
                    >
                    >Lerxst
                    >Chaos
                    >Legion of the Skull - Sgt. of the Dragon Pride
                    >Vapor the Green Dragon
                    >Cabin Boy of the Dark Scorpion
                    >Booser
                    >Member of The Claw Threotine Council
                    >DRNKNGNM# 26
                    >The Bardwell Bartender
                    >Master of the Chocolate Cake shot
                    >Caretaker of Chocolate Covered Cherries
                    >http://www.pbase.com/lerxst
                    >"Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with
                    >ketchup."

                  • Bret Orrell
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 9 12:29 PM
                      Chad,

                      Below is a list of items I am interested in getting. Can you please
                      give me the cost of the individual item and the cost for the number I
                      have specified.

                      Thanks for you help on this. I am on Paypal and can send you the
                      money that way if you prefer.

                      I would like to get:
                      10 of P-2263 in nickel (swing catch)
                      5 of P-2263 in antique brass (swing catch)
                      10 of P-2127 in nickel (swing catch)
                      5 of P-2127 in antique brass (swing catch)
                      5 of P-2437 (3 ball catch)
                      5 of P-2436 (3 ball catch)
                      3 of P-2435 in antique brass (Turn lock)
                      3 of P-2410 in antique brass (Turn lock)

                      C-1636 2" Chinch Buckle
                      C-1171 1 1/2" Chinch Buckle
                      C-1170 1" Chinch Buckle
                      C-1446 1" Chinch Buckle

                      3/8" Solid Black grommets (1 gross box)

                      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "chad johnson"
                      <kestrelleather@h...> wrote:
                      > :) somewhere I have a wholesale list, give me a list of what you
                      want and
                      > then email me directly
                      >
                      > kestrelleather@h...

                    • Lerxst of Chaos

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 12 3:31 PM
                          sorry got bogger down I wont order till i can give you the chance to look at
                          prices

                          >From: "Lerxst of Chaos" <lerxst@...>
                          >To: <medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com>
                          >Subject: Re: [medieval-leather] Grommets
                          >Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:12:47 -0500
                          >
                          >Chad.... any word on the cost of the stuff I emailed you?
                          >
                          >Lerxst
                          >Chaos
                          >Legion of the Skull - Sgt. of the Dragon Pride
                          >Vapor the Green Dragon
                          >Cabin Boy of the Dark Scorpion
                          >Booser
                          >Member of The Claw Threotine Council
                          >DRNKNGNM# 26
                          >The Bardwell Bartender
                          >Master of the Chocolate Cake shot
                          >Caretaker of Chocolate Covered Cherries
                          >http://www.pbase.com/lerxst
                          >"Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with
                          >ketchup."

                        • chad johnson
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 12 5:07 PM
                            sorry had not meant to post back to list, grommets are period. but have
                            never seen any other way used

                            >From: "Phlip" <phlip@...>
                            >To: <medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com>
                            >Subject: Re: [medieval-leather] Grommets
                            >Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 20:08:13 -0400
                            >

                            >Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
                            >
                            >Guys, since most of your discussion is about a matter which only concerns
                            >you two, do you think you might take it private?
                            >
                            >In the meantime, what techniques were used in our periods to reinforce
                            >holes
                            >in leather before the invention of grommets?
                            >
                            >Phlip
                            >
                            >"When in doubt, heat it up and hit it with a hammer."
                            > Blacksmith's credo.
                            >
                            > If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is probably not a
                            >cat.
                            >
                            >Never a horse that cain't be rode,
                            >And never a rider who cain't be throwed....

                          • Phlip

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 13 8:07 AM

                                > In the meantime, what techniques were used in our periods to
                                > reinforce holes
                                > in leather before the invention of grommets?

                                I would think that stitching leather washers front and back
                                over the hole would work. Dunno if it's period or not, but
                                would think that it would be used since it's cheap and uses
                                materials the leatherworker already has.
                              • Ken Whapples
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 13 12:31 PM
                                  Hi Jim,

                                  "I would think that stitching leather washers front and back over the hole would work. Dunno if it's period or not, but would think that it would be used since it's cheap and uses materials the leatherworker already has".

                                  Funny enough I was thinking along these lines too. I think that in the Dark Ages this could have been very plausible.

                                  The Anglo-Saxons seem to have been somewhat limited in their skills, so I think this is a likely scenario. Unless someone out there knows different of course ?!

                                  Cheers,

                                  Ken

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 13 3:25 PM
                                    At 08:31 PM 6/13/03 +0100, Ken wrote:
                                    Hi Jim,

                                    "I would think that stitching leather washers front and back over the hole would work. Dunno if it's period or not, but would think that it would be used since it's cheap and uses materials the leatherworker already has".

                                    Funny enough I was thinking along these lines too. I think that in the Dark Ages this could have been very plausible.

                                    The Anglo-Saxons seem to have been somewhat limited in their skills, so I think this is a likely scenario. Unless someone out there knows different of course ?!

                                    I think that that they were not so much limited in skills, as limited in their willingness/ ability to buck tradition.  We have a few examples of grommet type items in lead/tin as well as a number of bar and plate mounts with holes, all of which would work very well as hole reinforcement (some of which have been established as used for that purpose, for fairly certain).

                                    For the most part, though I think that they viewed leather as a semi-disposable commodity.  Many of the surviving and partial items simply had holes or slits cut in where they needed to tie or hang something.  If it tore out they might punch another hole, or if it was bad enough, simply dispose of the item (cut it up  for patching something more valuable, for example).

                                    I wish I could dig up some figures to compare the cost of a hide of leather to the general income levels of the time.  Most of what we have in prices are of select finished goods.

                                  • chad johnson
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 14 6:53 PM
                                      There are some nice pics in Dress Accessories from the London museum book,
                                      of the grommets and some other items. I know Waldenbooks can order it in.

                                    • rmhowe
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 25 4:30 PM
                                        Ken Whapples wrote:
                                        > Hi Jim,
                                        >
                                        > "I would think that stitching leather washers front and back over the
                                        > hole would work. Dunno if it's period or not, but would think that it
                                        > would be used since it's cheap and uses materials the leatherworker
                                        > already has".

                                        There is a certain speculation on the Sutton Hoo Burial having
                                        a leather jerkin hanging from the ceiling that had the shoulder
                                        clasps on it.

                                        Cameron, Esther: Leather and Fur;
                                        Archetype Publications for the Archaeological Leather
                                        Group, 1998 x 101p. Paperback, ISBN: 1873132514
                                        “A collection of papers on two key commodities whose
                                        importance for early medieval trade and craft is often
                                        masked by the lack of organics surviving in the archaeological
                                        record."
                                        Contents:
                                        Leather working processes by Roy Thomson;
                                        Hides, Horns and Bones by Arthur MacGregor;
                                        The search for Anglo-Saxon skin garments and the documentary
                                        evidence by Gale Owen-Crocker);
                                        Pre-conquest leather on English book-bindings, arms and
                                        armour AD 400-1100 by Esther Cameron;
                                        The leather finds from Rouen and Saint-Denis by Véronique Motembault;
                                        Trading in fur, from classical antiquity to the early
                                        Middle Ages by James Howard-Johnston);
                                        Animal bones from the Viking town of Birka, Sweden by Bengt Wigh;
                                        The British beaver: Fur, fact and fantasy by James Spriggs.
                                        £ 16.50 (approx. US$ 23.89) plus shipping. via Oxbow/David Brown.

                                        There exists a book on Dark Age fasteners of metal for garments:

                                        Hines, John, Clasps, Hektespenner, Agraffen; Kungl., Anglo-Scandinavian
                                        Clasps of Classes A-C of the 3rd to 6th Centuries A.D., Typology,
                                        Diffusion, and Function; Vitterhets Historie och Antikvitets Akademien,
                                        1993,126pp., with 152 figs & 22 plates. (Almquist and Wiksell 1993)
                                        ISBN 9174022253. Hardback available. Price US $29.00
                                        Distributed by Almquist and Wiksell International, Stockholm,
                                        Sweden. Printed in Sweden by Bohuslaningens Boktryckeri AB, Uddevalla.
                                        In English. "This volume reports, in English, on the typology, diffusion
                                        and function of Anglo-Scandanavian clasps of classes A-C of the 3rd to
                                        6th centuries AD. By the end of the 5th century the range of this type
                                        of dress-fastener runs from southern Jutland to the south of Arctic
                                        Norway in the north, and from Anglian England across to Finland, Estonia
                                        and Karelia in the east. The clasps allow important new observations to
                                        be made on how such items could be manufactured,distributed, and
                                        reproduced over such long distances, and the changing forms and
                                        find-contexts of these artefacts can be interpreted in terms of how art
                                        and costume reflect the adoption and symbolisation of group identity.
                                        This study leads to a more refined model of the cultural history of a
                                        critical period in the emergence of the early Medieval / late Iron Age
                                        states and kingdoms of Scandinavia and England."

                                        Early medieval hook and eyes look pretty much the same as
                                        the ones you buy at the textiles stores today.

                                        > Funny enough I was thinking along these lines too. I think that in the
                                        > Dark Ages this could have been very plausible.
                                        >
                                        > The Anglo-Saxons seem to have been somewhat limited in their skills, so
                                        > I think this is a likely scenario. Unless someone out there knows
                                        > different of course ?!

                                        I've seen the archaeological assertions that the Anglo-Saxons
                                        were much less skillful than the Celts in metalwork and art
                                        in general. I think they have a good point. I collect articles
                                        and books on the metal bits and jewelry and there isn't a lot
                                        of comparison. But then again a number of techniques died out
                                        after the period of the folkwanderings 400-700 AD and during the
                                        Viking years 793-1066 AD. That marvelous garnet work and enameled
                                        inlay were a couple of good examples.

                                        Holmqvist, Wilhelm and Birgit Arrhenius: Golden Age and
                                        Viking Art in Sweden; (in English) Historiska Museet,
                                        Stockholm, 1965, 58 pp..
                                        Most of it is by W. Holmquist . Apparently the techniques
                                        changed quite a bit during the Vendel to Viking periods
                                        with some techniques changing and others being lost -
                                        like enamelling. Rather instructive but lacking somewhat in translation
                                        of some techniques.
                                        One of the changes was the near disappearance of the
                                        pressed foils technique in the Viking age, let's say much
                                        less common. These would be the gold or silver foils made
                                        over the matrices - bronze plaque like plates especially
                                        made for repeat designs, such as helmet plates.
                                        The reappearance of Viking chased metalwork after a lapse.
                                        There is a slight discussion of grinding garnet flat or
                                        convex for better appearance to fit in the cloissons
                                        (cells) of the metalwork but no mention of how it was cut
                                        to fit them. The reason why I am interested in this is that
                                        it must have been difficult to make the interlinking cross
                                        designs of the Sutton Hoo pieces. They had extremely sharp
                                        corners in them. Sutton Hoo is just blow away work.
                                        The book mentions using resin to set the pieces in the
                                        cloissons, then it goes on to mention plaster and clay at
                                        a later date. The cell walls were still pressed over to
                                        secure the pieces. It mentions the change from Geometric
                                        motifs to Germanic Animal Art. Finally the cement changes
                                        to a mixture of beeswax and finely crushed limestone.
                                        It says the richest age for cloissone work was 400-800 AD
                                        finally disappearing all together in the Viking Age.
                                        It says the garnets no longer have faceted edges but bear
                                        traces of being sawn only.
                                        Golden Age and Viking Art in Sweden_ has chapters
                                        (usually very short) on Casting, Engraving, Chasing,
                                        Punch and Stamping, Incrustation, Filigree and Granulation,
                                        Cloissone, Enamel, and Patination and Coloration. Some of
                                        the chapters are only a few pages.
                                        There are photographic plates in the back of the book
                                        but no illustrations of techniques in the text. There are
                                        a few terms that look like they didn't quite make it in
                                        technical translation from the Swedish. But it is a good
                                        book. Part of the problem, and part of the good part of
                                        it, is that it relates in very short paragraphs the
                                        historical development of some of the techniques all the
                                        way back to the Egyptians, and you're a bit confused
                                        keeping up with the period that Holmquist is discussing
                                        in some of the chapters. No bibliography is given. This
                                        is a museum catalog meant to enlighten curious folks to
                                        a particular exhibition. There are 287 objects listed
                                        but not anywhere all depicted in the plates in the book.

                                        On Garnet work Birgit Arrhenius wrote:

                                        Arrhenius, Birgit: East Scandinavian Style I-A, A Review;
                                        Medieval Archaeology 17, 1973, pp. 26-42 & plates VII-XIV.
                                        (see reply in Lamm, K.)

                                        Arrhenius, Birgit: Merovingian Garnet Jewellery: Emergence and Social
                                        Implications. Göteborg 1985. Kungl. Vitterhets Historie och
                                        Antikvitetsakademien. 4:0. Publishersbd. KVHAA Stockholm 1985. 4to.
                                        229pp., illustrated. HB. Foreward by C.J. Becker. $75
                                        Also known as Merowingian Garnet Jewellery.

                                        Arrhenius, Birgit: Granatschmuck und Gemmen aus nordischen Funden des
                                        frühen Mittelalters mit einem röntgenkristallografischen ; eitrag von
                                        Diego Carlström und Zeichnungen von Bengt Händel. Stockholm 1971.. 4to.
                                        265 pp. Ill. Publisher's printed wrappers. Studies in North-European
                                        Archaeology. Series B. (SEK~275:-)

                                        Further work on the subject is in:

                                        Anglo-Saxon Studies on Archaeology and History 4, Oxford
                                        Committee for Archaeology, 1985, edited by Sonia Chadwick
                                        Hawkes, James Campbell and David Brown, 235 pages, photographs
                                        in individual articles. Oxbow Books.
                                        Barry M. Ager: Smaller Variants on the Anglo-Saxon Quoit
                                        Brooch, pp. 1-58.
                                        Christopher Scull: Further Evidence from East Anglia for
                                        Enamelling on Early Anglo-Saxon Metalwork, pp. 117-25.
                                        Mavis Bimson: Dark Age Garnet Cutting pp. 125-8.
                                        Katherine East: Cross Hatched Foils from Sutton Hoo, pp. 129-42.
                                        N.C. Meeks and R. Holmes: The Sutton Hoo Garnet Jewellery, pp.143-58.

                                        If I recall rightly there is some further work in
                                        Rupert Bruce-Mitford's Aspects of Anglo-Saxon Archaeology.

                                        Magnus

                                        > Cheers,
                                        >
                                        > Ken
                                      • Ken Whapples
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 26 3:37 AM
                                          Hi Magnus,

                                          Thanks for the references, but, I think you actually mixed my original with that of Jim.

                                          I'll add those books to a long (And growing) list for my friend in Glossop to hunt down for me.

                                          Cheers,

                                          Ken
                                        • Frojel Gotlandica
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 28 3:31 PM
                                            A short email from Prof Carlsson to let us know the knife CD is almost ready.
                                            Have a couple of sample pics from the CD that he sent me, looks great.

                                            Sandy

                                            So, hopefully today or tomorrow, I will have it all ready. I have e
                                            already made the home page, but has not put it out yet. we have also
                                            printed the picture on the CD and also the little envelope to the CD.
                                            so, in all, just trying to finished the text about knives in general.
                                            The CD's will be burnt early next week.

                                            Professor Dan Carlsson
                                            Centre for Baltic Studies
                                            Gotland University

                                            S-621 67 Visby, Sweden

                                            www.arkeodok.com

                                            Tel. +46-498-299829

                                            Fax. +46-498-299892

                                            Fr�jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment Society.
                                            http://www.frojel.com/
                                            frojel@...
                                          • Frojel Gotlandica
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jun 29 2:52 PM
                                              Dear Viking friends,
                                              Finally, we have our next CD-R about Viking objects ready. It deals with Viking Knives, and contains pictures and drawings, as well as detailed images of real as well as reconstructed knives. As usual, there are also high resolution photos, possible to zoom to show details of the different knives.Please visit www.arkeodok.com.

                                              I would also like to take the opportunity to inform you about Viking History courses run by Gotland University. We are in a couple of weeks beginning this summer�s excavation course of the Viking Port of Trade at Frojel. Later on in autumn, there will be an Internet course about Viking society, followed next spring with another Internet based course, as well as a new summer excavation course of the Viking trading place at Frojel. For more information and for register to the courses, please go to www.hgo.se, and the English pages. Keep in mind that joining a Swedish university course is always free of charge, except for a small fee to the students union.

                                              Yours Truly
                                              Dan Carlsson