RE: [medieval-leather] Re: Shoes on eBay

  • Linda Rice
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2003
      Well, for one thing, I certainly wouldn't have called them 'elegant',
      even when they were new. ;o> Practical perhaps. To me, it looks like a
      major part is missing, the back part that might have made it a true shoe
      instead of a slip-on thing? Or are the ripply lines around the edge from
      stitching to a thicker sole that is now gone? I couldn't say whether or
      not it is Elizabethan, but it does look very old. The price is still
      pretty reasonable, which tells me that perhaps other people question it
      as much as I do.

      As much as I disagree with selling antiquities online, at least it does
      give us a chance to see a variety of stuff that otherwise we might not.
      I always save the pictures and a brief summary of the 'verdict', for
      reference.

      Thanks!

      Linda

      Subject: [medieval-leather] Re: Shoes on eBay

      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Rice" <vmaa2@c...>
      wrote:
      > Once again, somebody is selling something they probably ought not to.
      > I don't know if they are really Elizabethan, but nice close-up photos:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2529464377&category=3
      55

      Anyone care to use this as a learning tool and give a little analysis
      a try, just from the photos? As a start, I will suggest that two of
      the three words in the title are in error.--Marc
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2003
        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Rice" <vmaa2@c...> wrote:
        > Once again, somebody is selling something they probably ought not to.
        > I don't know if they are really Elizabethan, but nice close-up photos:
        >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2529464377&category=355

        [Let's just assume the standard ranting here, and move on]

        Anyone care to use this as a learning tool and give a little analysis
        a try, just from the photos? As a start, I will suggest that two of
        the three words in the title are in error.

        Marc
      • Anna Troy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2003
          Well if you look at this person's other items he/she
          seems to think you have to have an expletive to
          describe an item for it to sell. 8-) As for the shoe,
          it looks home made. Those stitches are huge. So it
          could be late 16th century but it could also be later.
          I don't see any indications of a heel although there
          seems to be stitching left around the edge of the
          sole. A home made mule?

          Anna T

          > Anyone care to use this as a learning tool and give
          > a little analysis
          > a try, just from the photos? As a start, I will
          > suggest that two of
          > the three words in the title are in error.
          >
          > Marc

          =====
          "So many books, so little time."

          "Anna's Crafts Links Page" has MOVED to:
          http://www.angelfire.com/retro/crafts

          http://search.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 14, 2003
            Just a quicky input here since this is being a really busy week :)

            I think either the sole is badly fitted at the toe or has shrunk; and
            the relative cleanness of the stitches suggests to me that those are
            not the original stitches - particularly when compared with the
            threads that appear to still be in outer area of the welt (and would
            then have gone into the outsole).

            Take a close look at the back edge of the vamp. There are holes there
            too. We are definately missing the quarters (it's possible that there
            was an edge treatment there instead of full quarters, which would
            support Anna's suggestion of a mule, but most mule examples I can find
            pictures of have a different welt shape, since the welt wraps down
            around a more solid (wooden or cork) sole. So I'm going to say that,
            based on the welt shape in the front, that this thing had quarters.

            So, anyone have any examples of a shoe or boot that has a vamp seam
            that looks like that (i.e. straight up to the middle)?

            Marc
            ---Anna Troy <owly3@y...> wrote:
            > Well if you look at this person's other items he/she
            > seems to think you have to have an expletive to
            > describe an item for it to sell. 8-) As for the shoe,
            > it looks home made. Those stitches are huge. So it
            > could be late 16th century but it could also be later.
            > I don't see any indications of a heel although there
            > seems to be stitching left around the edge of the
            > sole. A home made mule?

            ---Linda: