Sporran help

  • Lerxst of Chaos
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2003
      I'm trying to make a sporran for my new kilt but I'm having some trouble getting the gusset to fit right. It keeps bunching up real bad.  Does anyone have a pattern or a suggestions.  I would be most grateful

      Bret
    • Scott Szakonyi
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2003
        If the gusset is going to follow a tight curve, you're going to have to dart it so it will curve without such severe bunching.  Any good sewing book at the library should explain about darts, but essentially, you cut little triangles of material from the seam allowance.

        Best of luck,

        Scott

        Lerxst of Chaos <lerxst@...> wrote:
        I'm trying to make a sporran for my new kilt but I'm having some trouble getting the gusset to fit right. It keeps bunching up real bad.  Does anyone have a pattern or a suggestions.  I would be most grateful

        Bret

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Adam Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2003
          Bunching up where? At the top edge? Bottom? I had issues with the former until I started tapering the gusset at the ends so the amount of "give" at the top was quite small and the sporran closed neatly. Annoying and fussy to get right, but it made for a much nicer looking finished product.

          cheers,
          Adam

          P.S. I checked back with my supplier for those spikes... STILL not in stock. they promised me something in a week or two. grumble, grumble....
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2003
            What I did was sew it from the bottom up on both sides of the front pannel. I sew it on the front side and wrapped it around.... Now I'm going to sew it to the back pannel but there is too much material with the curved shape so it is bunching up al the way around. I have tried to cut some of it to make a releif but no luck

            Lerxst
            Chaos
            Legion of the Skull
            Vapor the Green Dragon
            Sgt. of the Dragon Pride
            Cabin Boy of the Dark Scorpion
            Booser
            Member of the Claw
            Trash Tribe
            The Bardwell Bartender
            Master of the Chocolate Cake shot
            Caretaker of Chocolate Covered Cherries
            http://www.pbase.com/lerxst
            "Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."