Bellows

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2003
      I'm looking to build a bellows for my forge. Weaver is running a special on
      some " chrome oil tanned sides" at 5-6 oz weight, and it seems to me they
      ought to work just fine for the sides of my bellows, but I thought I'd ask
      you guys for input.

      Thoughts?

      Phlip

      cat.

      Never a horse that cain't be rode,
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 27, 2003
        At 10:24 AM 4/27/03 -0400, Phlip wrote:

        I'm looking to build a bellows for my forge. Weaver is running a special on
        some " chrome oil tanned sides" at 5-6 oz weight, and it seems to me they
        ought to work just fine for the sides of my bellows, but I thought I'd ask
        you guys for input.

        That looks to be a near ideal leather for bellows.  The oil/chrome combo should stay flexible without cracking for a good long time with even minimal care.

      • rmhowe
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2003
          Ron Charlotte wrote:

          > At 10:24 AM 4/27/03 -0400, Phlip wrote:
          >
          > > I'm looking to build a bellows for my forge. Weaver is running a
          > > special on
          > > some " chrome oil tanned sides" at 5-6 oz weight, and it seems to me
          > > they
          > > ought to work just fine for the sides of my bellows, but I thought
          > > I'd ask
          > > you guys for input.
          > >

          > That looks to be a near ideal leather for bellows. The oil/chrome
          > combo should stay flexible without cracking for a good long time with
          > even minimal care.
          >
          > Ron Charlotte -- Gainesville, FL
          > ronch2@... OR afn03234@...
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          The best plans I know of for western style bellows are in Aldren
          Watson's Village Blacksmith. The plans cover the forge as well.

          Magnus
        • Phlip
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 28, 2003
            Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

            > The best plans I know of for western style bellows are in Aldren
            > Watson's Village Blacksmith. The plans cover the forge as well.
            >
            > Magnus

            Well, what I'm working towards is a more period set up for my forge, as well
            as more convenience for taking it to events. I just put a picture up on the
            photo site (#17) to show you what I'm striving for. Even what you see there
            is not quite what I'm looking for- ultimately, I'll have a pair of single
            lung bellows on it, as well as a wooden firepot, lined with clay, but I
            figure travelling smiths had to take their equipment along somehow, and this
            set up can be documented back to very late period. It seems that blacksmiths
            had learned about double lung bellows from the goldsmiths at the end of the
            Rennaissance, so I'm cool there.....for the time being.

            I'm sure I could set up a very primitive forge, using a basic campfire and a
            tuyere and a stomach, but that's a little tough to set up for a day at an
            event, so this is the next best thing ;-)

            In the mean time, can anyone tell me what type and weight of leather might
            have been used in period for the same purpose? I'm currently working through
            the Pyrotechnica and De Re Metallica, but most of the information is on the
            processes, rather than the actual construction of the equipment.

            Thanks for the direction to the bellows plans, btw, Magnus, but I had
            already found a set that I think will work. I'll be keeping your reference,
            however, well, just because ;-)

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29, 2003
              At 11:16 PM 4/28/03 -0400, Phlip wrote:

              In the mean time, can anyone tell me what type and weight of leather might
              have been used in period for the same purpose? I'm currently working through
              the Pyrotechnica and De Re Metallica, but most of the information is on the
              processes, rather than the actual construction of the equipment.

              Probably the best for the job would be 4-5 oz oil tan or oil/veg  or oil/chrom combo (easier to find).  They sometimes sell it as "blacksmith" leather.  It's what I made my casting apron from.