More hardening leather stuff

  • leatherchain <red@leatherchain.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2003
      Has anyone else used ammonia and water to harden leather?
      I had fairly good results with a mixture of ammonia and hot water
      (hand hot - nowhere near boiling) on lighter veg tan for making masks.
      It stinks to hell, but it does help stiffen the leather without
      making it too brittle, and it gives you a much longer working time
      than immersion in near boiling water. Anyone else tried this? Maybe
      on heavier leather?
      Also, if you are heating in the oven, try a wooden cutting board or
      shaped wooden last.
      On using wax...besides it getting soft in the heat, wax is a
      lubricant. While it may work fine for SCA combat in Canada (cool
      climate, I've nothing against Canucks), in period with edged weapons,
      it would just make the armour easier to penetrate. Just my .02.
      Red